London SE1 community website

Chambers Wharf

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 6 of 11
Friday 15 June 2007 7.13pm
Looks good although I'll reserve judgement until the exhibition. You tend to know where you are with Ian Simpson buildings, it'll be glass and more glass. Opening up the Thames path is a huge selling point of the proposal.

I do love the existing Chambers Wharf buildings although I suspect I'm in a tiny minority! There are some great pictures of them in the wonderful book Left London, a must for any other fans of urban dereliction out there!

I'm devastated to see that the 'build your heliport in your backyard not ours' graffiti has recently been removed from the coldstore building! It always used to make me smile when running past Chambers Wharf
Saturday 16 June 2007 9.39am
I like Chambers Wharf too, but I don't miss the right-on graffiti. The sooner there's river access the better. The section east from St Saviour's Dock suffers from having to jink back and forth to the river.
Friday 22 June 2007 8.12pm
Just been down to the exhibition. I'm impressed with the plans. Well worth having a wander along to the Beormund Community Centre over the weekend.

I've posted some pictures on Skyscraper City link
Thursday 9 August 2007 2.10pm
Saw this on rightmove. Do you think this is the first phase?Tempus
AD
Tuesday 14 August 2007 10.39am
Tempus Wharf is part of a development that finished a couple of years ago - it does border the site though.
The first phase is a long way off; if plans are approved in early 2008, demolition would follow during 2008, and construction would start in early 2009, and continue for a few years after that. You're looking at 2012 before the whole development will be completly finished.
Tuesday 14 August 2007 6.44pm
I have emailed the council to give my support to the development. My view that it is always easy to oppose or be negative so a positive comment should have equal weight. I have asked that the parking issue for us local residents is looked at. I have also asked what working hours will be allowed.

If these two issues are sorted than I think the new building ( how ever long they take) will be a bonus to us
zee
Friday 28 March 2008 2.49pm
If you are happy with these exceptionally high buildings towering over you that's fine.

For those many local residents who are outraged by the enormous height and great density planned for the area, be aware that although you may have submitted objections to the planners a few months ago, you need to do it again in response to the recent communication from Southwark.

This is basically a planning trick. By altering the plans slightly they are able to say that fewer people have objected on this occasion. They hope people will get tired of objecting.

Have a look at the plans. They are all lovely....full of environmental hopes and green spaces. However they are very tall. Many more floors than any other flats around here and unbelievably overshadowing the terraced houses next to the site.

Local residents will be greatly affected by the height of these flats and they will be an eyesore in the area.

Be aware that it is easy for these forums to be used by self interested parties.

If you object to these plans make sure Southwark Council is informed of you views once again.
Saturday 29 March 2008 9.12pm
IIRC from the planning exhibition the buildings heights step away from the river and the building heights on Chambers street are to be little higher than the existing buildings. The existing buildings are relatively high anyway, do they not already overshadow the terraced houses next to the site?

I've seen the renderings and plans of the proposed scheme and how you can describe it as an eyesore is beyond me!

I do still think it's a pity that the existing buildings cannot be retained and converted but the developers representative at the exhibition assured me that they had considered this option but the thickness of the walls and the materials and chemicals used in the cold store walls make this impossible.
Monday 31 March 2008 10.31am
Has anyone else been down to the Samuel smith's pub - I think it's called The Angel. It's along that side of water, keep walking east past Tower Br. It's great pub right on the river, the room on the 1st floor has fantastic views and at under 2 a pint it's a bargain without loads of tourists.

Nothing to do with the place apart from liking Samuel smiths pubs and good views.
AD
Monday 31 March 2008 12.12pm
The Chambers Wharf development is interesting due to its size and location. I visited the planning offices last year and viewed the A3 design booklet submitted with the application and I saw all of the computer renderings. (many more than were presented at the public exhibition.)

The development will have the biggest impact to the East on Loftie Street and Bevington Street as (including the existing flats) the buildings step up in height from Bermondsey Wall West. There was a rendering taken from Bevington Street looking West which clearly illustrates the point. The impact is significant as there are flats proposed on both sides of Chambers Street. I can understand Zee's sentiment. With the number of council blocks in the area I can't see the plans being turned down.

There are lots of good points about the design in my opinion, and on Balance I hope it gets permission. The thing I can't understand is why they didn't design it with the highest tower at the Bermondsey wall side, stepping down slightly towards Loftie Street.

I understand (from a book called 'City Reborn') that previously, where Providence Square is, a large development was planned and approved, but due to the economic climate it was shelved, and the existing developmet was subsequently built, but to a lower spec. I hope a similar scenario doesn't happen at Chambers Wharf.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 6 of 11

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions