London SE1 community website

Chambers Wharf

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 8 of 11
AD
Wednesday 2 April 2008 11.08pm
The riverside walkway is quite expansive. So often developers give nothing more than a pavement's width of space and stick a large fence along so no soul would wish to loiter! The designs I saw at the planning office extended back between the buildings and had seating areas, water features, and lighting built into the paved areas, as well as wind turbines.

Admittedly some of the space between the buildings was private gardens. Also developers have been known to cut back on features during the actual construction phase, or maintenance companies don't keep all the finer features after the properties are sold...but..one lives in hope.

There is a website www.chambers-wharf.co.uk
There are a limited number of images on the webpage, if you download the newsletter, there is an image of the walkway on that.

The first post in this thread actually concerned the 'new thames vista' which I think shows the value of new public space. One of the best things about Southwark's redevolopment (albeit due to modern regulations) is how the Thames is being opened up. The north bank really suffers from the lack of river access.
Wednesday 2 April 2008 11.52pm
The image of the new riverside walkway is intriguing.

Could pedestrians cast shadows in that direction at any time of year apart from dawn on midsummer's day???

I think that it will be more typical for most of the riverside to be in shadow from the new buildings from late morning onwards.
AD
Thursday 3 April 2008 9.18pm
Chambers Wharf is aligned at the same angle as Butlers Wharf. Lang Rabbie, you are quite right that there is a lack of sun light, but this is the case on the south bank from the Tate Modern to Chambers Wharf.

I do see your point about the height of the buildings, but there are plenty of tall buildings between Chambers Wharf and Tate Modern, and that stretch of river is far from a nuclear fallout zone (which some might argue Chambers Wharf resembles in it's current state). You get some lovely sunrises pretty much all year, and in the summer, some nice sunsets too. Believe it or not, after a long winter, and following our two weeks of summer last year, the sun does rise above a 12 storey building from time to time! It's never going to be Sydney Harbouresque by the Pool of London, but it will be a nice stroll (or 'morning constitutional').

I still think a vote would favour the Southbank's river frontage (with it's shadows) to Wapping's lack of walkway (with it's sun-trap beer gardens along Wapping high street, where I've lost many a lazy summer afternoon.)
Sunday 11 May 2008 1.01pm
does anyone know when exactly the demolition will start ? My appartment face directly the big cold store so i'm a bit anxious about noise, smoke, dust, etc

cheers!
Sunday 11 May 2008 9.21pm
Planning permission hasn't yet been granted. The application hearing takes place on 3rd June 7pm at the Town Hall in Peckham.
Monday 12 May 2008 7.58am
I once saw a fox on East Lane (perpendicular to Chambers Street). It probably lives in the deserted building. I hope no harm happens to it during the demolition...
Wednesday 4 June 2008 7.53am
So I think the planning hearing was last night - was anyone there? Any news?
Wednesday 4 June 2008 9.07am
It wasn't on the agenda for last night.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 5 June 2008 12.48pm
Nope, thanks. I gather that St Martins had failed to get some info to the council in time. Possible date now 1 July.
Wednesday 2 July 2008 10.11am
Last night the planning committee resolved to grant planning permission subject to legal agreement and referral to the Mayor of London.

With 596 homes, this scheme is going to have a substantial impact on that part of Bermondsey.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 8 of 11

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions