London SE1 community website

Chambers Wharf

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 9 of 11
Monday 7 July 2008 6.00pm
What excellent news...Finally!
if the development turn out anything like what the developers have shown us then chambers Wharf could transform this part of SE16
AD
Tuesday 29 July 2008 8.45pm
I received a newsletter from the developers saying the agenda was to start demolshing the old buildings in August/September. No hanging around then.
Friday 1 August 2008 6.02pm
So what about the theories about it being a gold store/visited by mysterious lorries at dead of night/having massive,electronically-controlled internal security doors and moving floors, then? All just urban myths about to go the way of the poor urban fox?
AD
Saturday 2 August 2008 11.10am
The basement was used to store Silver bullion. Last year lots of Polish lorries visited, and presumably relocated all the booty to some Eastern European vault.
I discovered this when walking down Chambers Street, and a bemused lorry driver pointed to his mobile phone. A text read 'Bank of America, SE16 [email protected]*'. (I can't remember the postcode). His Sat Nav had led him to this derelict site. I presume he expected to turn up to a shiny fenced off, purpose built building! I showed him the door bell by the garage doors and rang it. When I explained I was a helpful citizen, helping the lost lorry driver, a very stressed out security guard thanked me and told me to move along.
The lorry was a big articulated vehicle, plain white, and at a glance didn't look unusual. But on closer inspection the trailer was beefed up to carry lots of weight.
Saturday 2 August 2008 11.47am
Silver as well as gold. I love it. I had a taxi driver who told me it was diamonds. It's like folktales about prehistoric mounds being haunted by floating, flaming heads - and then the archaeoligists move in and there's a gravesite containing a magnificent bronze helmet.
AD
Wednesday 6 August 2008 3.05pm
The portacabins moved in this morning.....they're definately not hanging around...
Wednesday 6 August 2008 4.30pm
Luckily I had my camera with me then this afternoon,well disposable camera and took some photos of these lovely buildings, before the developers started their work.I can not decide if the security guard was being helpfull or not. Someone told us yesterday that there were Falcons who flew around the building in the evening,surely they should be protected.
Wednesday 6 August 2008 9.55pm
Regarding the strange happenings being witnessed in and about Chambers Wharf, anyone who worked there in the good old days will tell you it's only Percy Moore !
SE16 was always a great place to live and work in the past,albeit very hard at times, but I am afraid it has gone downhill a lot since even those days.
It requires millions to be spent on the whole area.
Sunday 10 August 2008 11.27am
Are we going to be obliged to a grand demolition, or is it going to be a slow process? The newsletter says a lot about the checks they're going to do to ensure it's safe, but nothing of the actual demolition. It'll be a shame to see these buildings go - however nice it'll be to have the Thames Path opened up at the end of Bermondsey Wall West!
Friday 26 September 2008 1.40pm
Demolition starts next week so enjoy the existing buildings while you still can...

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 9 of 11

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions