London SE1 community website

Potters Fields

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  PreviousFirst...2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next
Current: 10 of 12
Friday 11 November 2005 3.28pm
Karen O'Toole was very good
she called another meeting next week.
Friday 11 November 2005 8.56pm
Oh its so depressing. A development goes through our long and complex planning system, only for the whole thing to be overturned by one powerful and non-local institution at the end. What is the point of all the consultation and involvement?

(that's not me giving up, by the way, its just a large sigh of disappointment and frustration)
Friday 11 November 2005 9.43pm
I think the real problem is that the planning system responds to propsosals like this for a particular site, rather than looking at the broader issues regarding the area and what is neighbourhood's longer term interests. This whole problem is in part caused (IMHO) by Southwark's Planning Department moving away from specific site designations under the old UDP to much vaguer designations under the new one. I well remember urging councillors and officers to designate the whole site to be Metropolitan Open Land to help reduce developers' interest in it, and to act as a spur to increasing the size of the park, but was told it wasn't possible. That's rubbish, I think, but I will accept that boroughs - and planning inspectors - are in a difficult position when it comes to development - the entire legal framework seems to be shaped around market forces, which are notoriously short term, and uncaring about the 'externalities' of a development's effect on the surrounding area.

But yes, don't give up. If what James' report of the meeting is accurate about Southwark's commitment to not selling the land is true, that's where the pressure must be applied. Residents are fortunate than they can directly hold the leader of the council accountable, since he is (one of) their ward councillors. If the Greens were smart, they'd be using this as an issue to build a campaign around for the local council elections which I think are due before too much longer. I have zero faith in the Labour party doing anything to stand up to Prescott and Livingstone, in spite of some individually good local members.

Friday 11 November 2005 10.16pm
That article in the evening standard today sort of trivialized it
To compare the towers to Darlics is crediting the design with more creative flair than it has.

Its not a trivial issue of personal taste anyway.
Its much more important that that.
Its about the squandering of London's greatest assets and exploitation of the public realm.

I totally agreed with what simon Hughes said about Tower Bridge being the gateway to London and the site should be used to celebrate what that gateway brought to London .

Or words to that effect.
Monday 14 November 2005 3.02pm
I have reinstated the website www.pottersfields.com . Details of future meetings etc will be posted there.
Monday 14 November 2005 9.59pm
Ha that's good
I had put a link to that on a few other web sites.

Also as some one that doesn't live in southwark it was good to meet you breafly as it was and interesting to see Simon Hughes interacting with his constituents,as well as addressing the wider issues of London with which I agree.
Tuesday 15 November 2005 8.00am
Hi Mickey
I'm confused about not living in Southwark - you or me! I live opposite Nutmeg House so it must be you! Thanks for putting the link on other sites - the more people that see the images the better!
Tuesday 15 November 2005 3.13pm
Hi all

Congratulations on the work done on this topic. I am a local resident and have been following developments with angst over the last few months/years.

I do not understand why the land is not used to extend the small park that is potters' field in an area that is generally over-built already. Add to that the location facing Tower of London and the prospect of those towers is just nauseating.

May I suggest Alan that you put on your website the address of the ODPM and a proposed letter that people can download to send to 2jags?

Shoudl we use the website to build a petition of residents?

Are there ways to bring this issue to a wider audience over the crucial next few weeks, such as ITV or BBC London news or ask Simon Hughes to go on the offensive?

These are just a few thoughts.
Tuesday 15 November 2005 8.11pm
Hi Madfrogz
Thanks for your comments. Simon Hughes went to Karen O'Toole's meeting last week and is already heavily involved. As regards petitioning the ODPM I think his mind is made up! However don't let me put you off!.
There is another meeting tomorrow night of Karen's protest group at Nutmeg House , 61 Gainsford Street at 7pm.
I'm open to all suggestions as to how we can use the website to fight the development. In case I miss a posting here it's probably better to email me at [email protected]
Tuesday 15 November 2005 8.12pm
sorry should be [email protected]
Pages:  PreviousFirst...2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next
Current: 10 of 12

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions