London SE1 community website

Potters Fields

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  PreviousFirst...2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next
Current: 11 of 12
Tuesday 15 November 2005 9.53pm
Alan, on the off-chance you've missed it, you can tag your contribution to a thread here so that replies to the thread are sent to you via email. Keep up the good work!
Wednesday 16 November 2005 8.22am
Thanks Andrew - Sorry I havn't been in touch recently
Wednesday 16 November 2005 9.05am
You said it - the die is already cast probably, unless someone takes the DPM and shoots him at dawn. So he can go down in history as having created ten billion homes - after all he has several himself, never mind the Jags. Gosh, that MAN, he has a hell of a lot to answer for. The indescriminate plonking of ugly, unsuitable buildings all over this city is a disgrace. But FIGHT, and if get as much press coverage as is possible.
Wednesday 16 November 2005 11.23am
To be honest, I don't think all this should be pinned on Prescott. Yes, he should be held accountable for the decisions he takes, but he takes them within a particular legal framework, and any other person who replaced him as the responsible minister would probably end up taking the same decisions given this legal framework.

And the die is not cast. As many people have pointed out (not least me), this development simply will not take place if Southwark do not sell the land or go into partnership with Berkeley Homes. So that is where it will be most fruitful to apply pressure, not on Prescott.

Has anyone filed a Freedom of Information request to the council for the correspondence and notes of meetings between councillors (and officers) and Berkeley Homes? If not, time to get on the case!

Wednesday 16 November 2005 2.32pm
I don't agree that a Planning decision like this is all about
the law.

Planning decisions are also about objective
esthetics.

and Its about Government policy,
and what the political will of the moment is

as well as what the pressure is coming from the mayer of London.

vision or the lack of it.

Edited 3 times. Last edit at 16 November 2005 2.36pm by mickysalt.
Thursday 17 November 2005 9.03am
Michael,

While the policy of the current government and Mayor of London may have something to do with it, I'm struggling to think of how aesthetics is ever objective. 'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder' and all that...

Thursday 17 November 2005 11.37am
ok objective wasn't the right word
what I meant was,
The prioritizment or not of esthetic judgment is an issue.

also can anyone give me the potters FIELD website address.I just get this singers web site.
Thursday 17 November 2005 11.47am
Saw Simon Hughes at a meeting last night, and congratulated him on his stand. He said he thinks the development will be scotched by Southwark because they own much of the land. The head of the Council was there too and said the same...it was a small gathering and I had a chance to to chat to all of them....so.....FINGERS CROSSED!
Thursday 17 November 2005 11.52am
mickysalt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ok objective wasn't the right word
> what I meant was,
> The prioritizment or not of esthetic judgment is
> an issue.
>
> also can anyone give me the potters FIELD website
> address.I just get this singers web site.
>

Do you mean http://www.pottersfields.com/intro.htm ?
Thursday 17 November 2005 11.53am
Andrew Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm struggling to think of how aesthetics is ever
> objective.

I draw the jury's attention to Kant's "theory of Pure Beauty" as outlined in his Critique of Judgment

Pages:  PreviousFirst...2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next
Current: 11 of 12

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions