London SE1 community website

Potters Fields

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 6 of 12
Wednesday 12 October 2005 10.53am
Its bad enough as it is with out dumbing it down.
I haven't read it properly yet ,

but it did say for the corner building there
are no conditions for the new building.

Alan Chapmans probably read it in more detail.

I was also thinking Alan Chapman should ask Tommy Steel.

To support the campaign to stop it

also strange how James hat removed the topics from the front page.

Edited 2 times. Last edit at 12 October 2005 10.58am by mickysalt.
Wednesday 12 October 2005 12.11pm
I havn't had a chance to read all of it yet unfortunately - will try and do so soon !
Wednesday 12 October 2005 12.39pm
Does anyone have a link for the decision?

Thanks
Wednesday 12 October 2005 5.06pm
I have searched to see if it is online but have been unable to find it anywhere. Copies apparently can be obtained from the Planning Inspectorate on request. It is over 100 pages long otherwise I would scan it for everyone. Hopefully Southwark will do so soon.
Wednesday 12 October 2005 6.31pm
Alas my dears, the Developer is King, specially if it's Berkely Homes who have more or less taken over the world. J. Prescott will not turn down ANYTHING that is called "housing". And when the monstrosity they are going to build in the car park in our complex at MCH was criticised for not having enough affordable housing, St.George (part of Berkely) had a good old heart to heart with the Mayor and suddenly it was "understood" why they couldnt give more affordable housing (well, it'd affect their profits wouldnt it?) Oh the whole thing is so disgusting, and our grandchildren will deplore what "we" did to the city.
Wednesday 12 October 2005 9.59pm
mickysalt wrote: also strange how James hat [sic] removed the topics from the front page.....

Blimey, you'll see conspiracy in anything...and what does 'Tommy Steel' have to do with it?

Perhaps I should read the inspectors report, but I suspect I will find it all too dispiriting. The thought of this development with its impoverished design proposals and vision, is all too grim to take and all too likely to happen. The Victorians did their best to obliterate the character of Southwark with the railways, then government and council stamped mediocrity on the bits that were laid waste by the WW2 bombs with characterless social housing, and now the area is victim of its own success and another form of architectural blight created by avaricious developers and the 'inner city chic' 'architect designed' 'live/work lifestyle' brownfield development apartment blocks of which the Potters Field proposal is yet another dispiriting example.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 12 October 2005 10.00pm by janefs.
Wednesday 12 October 2005 11.04pm
The reports just a white wash realy,
it says because of English heritage's procedural approach in considering the proposal very little weight should be given to there evidence.

Its just a joke.

Tommy steel was on radio two the other day saying he came from some where round there.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 12 October 2005 11.05pm by mickysalt.
Thursday 13 October 2005 7.22am
Yeah... I reckon you should just all throw in the towel. You're clearly not going to win against the forces of darkness, because no-one ever does. The world is doomed, there's no point in anything, nothing good ever happens...

Or, you could stop with the wringing of hands and the stirring up of apathy, and get Nick Stanton and the Head of Regen and Southwark Property along to a public meeting to make sure they put their commitment to not selling the land to Berkeley Homes on the public record again. In front of journalists like James, and the folks from Southwark News and the South London Press, and even the Evening Standard, Estates Gazette and Architect's Journal. Without the land that Southwark owns, on all your behalves, Berkeley cannot build the presently approved design. The developers need to be told very clearly, that their attempts to build these monstrosities are hopeless and will not be tolerated, so they are the ones who should give up, not the people living in SE1 (and beyond) who care about public spaces and the quality of our urban environment.

Unless you even attempt to be the immovable object, of course the irresistable forces will roll right over you.

Thursday 13 October 2005 8.45am
Indeed. One of the critical conditions in the planning approval will be whether the entire development has to be built as a whole - in which case Southwark can hold things up for a while as they own something like two-thirds of the land.

If that is not a condition then Berkeley can build three of the towers on their strip irrespective of what Southwark want. That strip, of course, contains the three tallest towers! So that will look nice now won't it?
Thursday 13 October 2005 10.38am
they wouldn't be able to sell the flats if they did that
.because no one would want to live next to a potential
building site.or lose there views
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 6 of 12

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions