London SE1 community website

Potters Fields

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  PreviousFirst...2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next
Current: 8 of 12
Saturday 15 October 2005 10.48am
As I keep saying, these things are all pretty much done and dusted behind closed doors with a nod and a wink and a "let's go through the due process to keep the papers off our backs"...it is sickening and frightening and getting more Kafkaesque by the day.
Wednesday 19 October 2005 10.44am
John Prescott is "minded to ......grant planning permission" for the proposed Berkeley Homes development, and he "agrees with the inspector that the proposal would integrate with, and extend Potter's Field Park."
WHERE OR WHAT IS POTTER'S FIELD PARK?
You can buy an album 'Songs From The Potter's Field' and there is a reference to the potter's field in The Gospel According to Saint Matthew. But no Potter's Field Park.
Presumably, of course, he is referring to Potters Fields Park. But what confidence can we have in a Secretary of State making important decisions on matters about which he is at least partly ignorant?
When this was drawn to the attention of Michael Taylor at the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister he patronisingly said that they might 'possibly correct this', but he could not promise to do so.
Wednesday 19 October 2005 1.24pm
I use Potters Fields when writing about the site. But the signage in the locality (and statements from the Council, PLP et al) use every conceivable variant of Potters Field(s), Potter's Field(s), Potters' Field(s) etc etc.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 19 October 2005 1.50pm
..... but the correct description is Potters Fields (see London A-Z) and has been for at least 100 years (see the Booth Poverty Map of 1898-99). Hence Potters Fields Park.
Wednesday 19 October 2005 9.23pm
Because, of course, the correct placement (or otherwise) of an apostrophe will be what stops this proposed development from proceeding. I am sure it will prove a worthy ground for judicial review. And I do not hear the sound of porcine wings overhead.
Wednesday 2 November 2005 10.10pm
Looks like our ever-wise DPM has all but given it the nod (today's ES) apart from concerns over the proportion of affordable housing. Obviously the fact that it is a total blot on a world famous view and will put the only park near here in the shade all day is completely irrelevant.......
Wednesday 2 November 2005 10.50pm
I also read the ES...OH IT:S SO BLOODY DEPRESSING. Will no one take out the DPM and shoot him??? He's a philistine of the first water.
Wednesday 2 November 2005 10.56pm
andrewzebedee Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Looks like our ever-wise DPM has all but given it
> the nod (today's ES) apart from concerns over the
> proportion of affordable housing. Obviously the
> fact that it is a total blot on a world famous
> view and will put the only park near here in the
> shade all day is completely irrelevant.......

I haven't seen today's ES, but surely that's just what was reported on this site (and elsewhere) several weeks ago...

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 3 November 2005 1.29am
I just read that article

Its just saying what we already new from the letter.
nothing has changed yet.
The tonality of the article isen't very flattering to Berkeley homes
Friday 4 November 2005 3.03pm
There is a meeting of the Potter's Field Development Pressure Group on 10th November at Nutmeg House, 60 Gainsford Street SE1. Speakers include Simon Hughes MP, Berkeley Homes, Office of the DPM. All welcome. Come and make your voice heard if you really care.
Pages:  PreviousFirst...2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next
Current: 8 of 12

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions