London SE1 community website

Nelson Square photos

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4
Current: 4 of 4
Monday 20 February 2006 2.50pm
dear loafer, do you know that i had been waiting for your reply! heavens knows where i was looking! thank you so much....

near robert browning hall and burial ground ( now built on) was on browning street, morecambe street was where my aunt lived..the boiler house is the large glass room as you enter the main entrance of guys on left side.....will do more later when boss aint looking!

thank you Joss..:-)
Monday 20 February 2006 9.34pm
Jan,

And I'd thought you'd forgotton!

Browning Street/Morecambe Street - the area I think you may be referring to is coloured green on my map. This means “Clearance Areas” which is bomb damaged properties which are being cleared as suitable for redevelopment - usually poor quality housing not worth saving/rebuilding. Judging by your description, they must have changed their minds, but forgot to tell the council!

Boiler House - Everything to the east of Great Maze Pond for some distance was destroyed. Remarkably, very little damage to the west, actually within Guy's Hospital site itself.

Regards,

Loafer
Tuesday 21 February 2006 10.16am
Morning Loafer...:-)

the pub bit...tthinking about it and checking me ole brain cells....it was st thomas street end of snowsfields....

chat later..
Thursday 23 February 2006 3.53pm
They Have new doors, so only have new Chubb & Yale locks in brass on blsck painted doors, will take photos over the w/e if the sun is out, (unlikley as its snowing now.)

the buildings are/have been refitted as flats and are up for sale by daniel cobb est. agents,

Margaret wrote:
Dear Mojonojo and Nelson,
Next time you go past those houses in Nelson Square, would you have a really good look at the kind of locks that they have on their doors. I suppose the main lock will now be a modern Yale lock, but the old ones that might have fitted my key MIGHT still be visibleeven if they re not used. I would love to confirm my key story!!
My initial request of 21st January has turned into the most marvellous saga for me - when I tell my friends they say that it sounds like an episode from "The Da Vinci Code"!
Kindest regards
Margaret in Oz.
Friday 23 January 2009 1.53pm
Dear Rabbie,

I have been trying to piece together my family tree,most of whom come from
Waterloo or Walworth.
The old photo of Nelson Square stopped me in my tracks as I believe that the
two people leaning on the balcony are my Great Great Grandparents.
Their names were Laura and William Price would anybody be able to confirm this?
Their daughter Ellen married Samuel Howard who lived at 28 Surrey Row.
They moved to Mitre Road and went on to have 3 daughters Vera ,Peggy and
Millie. Vera married my grandfather (Edward) Ted Morris and lived in Webber Street.

Many Thanks

Karen Player
Friday 23 January 2009 6.07pm
The original picture is in the London Metropolitan archives.
Friday 23 January 2009 6.35pm
Thank You, a member of the family has got a copy but we wasn't sure where it had
ended up.

Kind Regards

Karen Player
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4
Current: 4 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
September at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions