London SE1 community website

Our MP??

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 6 of 7
Friday 27 January 2006 7.22pm
I must admit, I was glad that he apologised for lying on Question Time last night. It completed the narrative curve that started (for me) on the R4 6pm news when he seemed to move towards addressing the lying issue and then drew back from it.

I want to like Simon Hughes (always have done up to now). Different sides of the fence entirely, but the only other MP I've been a constituent of who was more conspicuously active locally was Ken Clark(?e?). Terrible Govt, but you couldn't help respecting the man for following his views and working very hard at it. And I'm entirely in favour of a strong 3rd force in politics, so I take no joy in all the bad press for the Lib's. I just think that this could have been handled so much better. IMHO it's reasonably easy to explain his actions in a sympathetic way. It's the fact he took so long coming to it that's a shame.

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 27 January 2006 8.45pm
Its a none issue full stop.
Saturday 28 January 2006 1.02pm
Simon has written an article for today's Independent:
http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/politics/article341535.ece

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Saturday 28 January 2006 1.56pm
mickysalt wrote:
I think its ok to lie about things that no one has the right to ask you about in the first place..

No doubt - but I'd have to ask why he was so willing to participate in a homophobic campaign from that position. Suggest to me a person who would act in a duplicious manner - which is underlined by his word play over why he finally came out. He cant even admit that he did it to pre-empt the paper.

All you want from a politican is straight talk (pun unintended) - and he doesn't seem to have that in him.
Saturday 28 January 2006 5.32pm
Osamede wrote:
mickysalt wrote:
I think its ok to lie about things that no one has the right to ask you about in the first place..

No doubt - but I'd have to ask why he was so willing to participate in a homophobic campaign from that position. Suggest to me a person who would act in a duplicious manner - which is underlined by his word play over why he finally came out. He cant even admit that he did it to pre-empt the paper.

All you want from a politican is straight talk (pun unintended) - and he doesn't seem to have that in him.

All I want from an MP is someone who is committed to his constituency and his constituents, someone whose views I agree with (most of the time, if not all of the time), and who takes an active part in parliamentary debate and votes.

That is why, despite being a life-long Labour voter, I have voted for Simon Hughes ever since living in Bermondsey, and I hope I will have the opportunity to do so again in the future.
Anonymous User
Sunday 29 January 2006 8.52pm
Hear hear
Monday 30 January 2006 11.59am
The Lady Miss Jo Jo wrote:
Osamede wrote:
mickysalt wrote:

All I want from an MP is someone who is committed to his constituency and his constituents, someone whose views I agree with (most of the time, if not all of the time), and who takes an active part in parliamentary debate and votes.

That is why, despite being a life-long Labour voter, I have voted for Simon Hughes ever since living in Bermondsey, and I hope I will have the opportunity to do so again in the future.

here here miss jo!

indeed, i feel this whole thing is a non issue, within a SE-1 context, Simon has always been a great advocate for the area, and if you look at his parilimentry record has consistently looked to improve the area and *usualy* votes the way i would want him to. i wonder of the people who are taking sides on this issue both in the se-1 community and within this forum how many are regularly involved in the political process from the weakest end (ie turning out to vote) to writing to your MP on a regular basis to being members of a political party.

Bisexuality is not homosexuality, and is not being straight either ask a bisexual man or woman, or indeed ask a gay man or woman there are distinct differences, there is hostility from both sides of the gay/straight devide towards Bisexuals.

Bottom line most of this political BS is coming from newspapers and media outlets with agenda's to push, the hype is regarding the leadership for the libdems, and news outlets trying to influence the outcome.
Monday 30 January 2006 12.33pm
three times ditto...
Monday 30 January 2006 12.54pm
I campaigned for Peter Tatchell in the by election (from my pram of course as was not very old) and i recall that Simon's sexuality was well known amongst the people involved with the campaign including much merriment at his fiancee that appeared part way through the by election. I also understood at the time that the press knew as well but kept quiet as they wanted to see Peter Tatchell defeated. It is a shame that his standing for leadership of the Liberals has now caused the press to revisit his past-I do not give a fig who he sleeps with l and agree that he has been a good constituency MP I would hate to see the press try to ruin his credibility over this-they have done enough damage already.

I do still feel bitter about the way the whole by election camapign was waged-it was the first time i could vote and it was quite an experience and must say i think the way Peter Tatchell has responded says a lot for him.
Tuesday 31 January 2006 4.47pm
Well, Hughes seemed to weather the teacup storm well... but despite some rumours that the knives were out for Ming (Guardian)... SH has slipped very much into 3rd place on the major betting exchange...

1.5 Ming
4.5 Huhne
8.9 Hughes

I wonder whether the 1983 Tatchell thing has had an impact? It was reported a little before Hughes came out, but then (obviously) covered over and over when his hand was forced.

I still think Hughes is the right person for the job, but it's looking very shaky.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 6 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions