London SE1 community website

Has the SE1 bubble burst? for now

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4
Thursday 16 January 2003 6.30pm
For some time now, I have been seriously considering opening a very chilled concept bar to cater for pretty much all ages/walks of life, (within reason). My main concern to date, has been to a certain extent, in line with some of your chat, i.e. not enough repeat business/willingness of punters to go out most nights of the week.

Question: Do we really think a 10,000 sq ft bar and resaurant could be suported by you lot? If any of you think there is a remote possibiltiy I would love to hear from you.
Friday 17 January 2003 7.58am
ooh 10,000 sq ft!

i guess it depends where you're going to put it.

you'd have 10 ready customers in my office
Jai
Friday 17 January 2003 8.26am
If the food is good, reasonable, and the staff realise the importance of 'client-service' then absolutely.

Quality over quantity.

Varkenslachter
Friday 17 January 2003 9.32am
In response to PT - I have a couple of ideas/sites up my sleave that I have been monitoring for a while now. The concept does need that kind of space. I know it would work well in say Fulham, Chelsea, West End, NHG, Bayswater and probably Clerkenwell or Shoreditch, just as yet not convinced by SE1.

In response to Jai - I think anyone looking to open a venue with bad food and rude staff is probably heading for a fall at some point. Great food that represents good value is something I am of the opinion is severe lacking across the whole of London, not just SE1.
Friday 17 January 2003 9.43am
Scam,

Please open something on Tower Bridge Road area.... hundreds more people with good disposable incomes moving into developments in the area. Just look at the Jam Factory.

I would too one day love to see Tower Bridge Road as another Upper Street - don't laugh guys - it could happen, stranger things have happened! The most important thing is that people who use this web site believe in the area and it's potential.

Good food, good service, good atmosphere and I'll come back.

Good luck though.

David
Friday 17 January 2003 10.17pm
It always amuses me to see Estate Agents stretching boundaries both geographically and metaphorically - quite how The Jam Factory (Scarily close to The Old Kent Road) could be described as 'Borough', defeats me.
Saturday 18 January 2003 1.25pm
Dave - a furher planning application for Bermondsey Square is due in from Urban Catalyst this month. They have appointed a new architect with a track history of sensitive inner city sites (don't know if it is a good track history).

Leather Exchange - don't know who runs it, but I agree its a good place with informed friendly staff and quality food. BUT THEY DONT OPEN AT THE WEEKENDS - a tragedy. If an appareently slick and professional unit like this doesn't open then either they are not as sharp as I think they are, or there is not the market.
Monday 20 January 2003 8.57am
Mark - I think yo will find it is the latter, i.e. the market does not warrant opening at the wekends. I think operations closer to Borough High St may fair a little better.
MM
Monday 20 January 2003 3.46pm
Surely its a question of marketing the market-
Bermondsey has the only major antiques market in the whole of london, and it would pull in major crowds if only it was marketed in a similar way that Camden did so successfully. Sure, its a different target audience and it would only work if you open at weekends, obviously. But I put a wager that 9 out of 10 people in London have heard of Camden Market, but only 1 out of 10 people have heard of Bermondsey Market. That's not just because people are more interested in buying incense and DMs, rather than furniture and victorian trinkets. Its because of (a) poor transport links and (b) people from outside SE1 not even knowing the market exists. You can't do much about (a) except improve the pedestrian signage from London Bridge tube (its a major attraction so why is there not a single sign pointing the way from the tube?). But you can do something about (b). Even if it just means hiring four students to stand outside camden market every weekend, and hand out flyers saying "You've enjoyed Camden Market, why not try Bermondsey market?" No point, though, as it opens at 4am and is closed by lunchtime. I give the market a year before it dies on its feet.
Monday 20 January 2003 3.59pm
When I spoke of "the market", I actually was not referring to the antiques market - more the punters/restaurant/ber market.

You do have a point though on marketing the market.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions