London SE1 community website

Bermondsey Abbey Archaeological Dig

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 3 of 5
Wednesday 1 February 2006 12.07pm
If you get a reply Niall could you post it here please.
Alan
Wednesday 1 February 2006 5.28pm
A few quick snaps taken this afternoon through the gaps in the wire fencing:

Maybe someone who knows the site could identify roughly what we're looking at here?

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 1 February 2006 5.38pm by James Hatts.
Wednesday 1 February 2006 9.24pm
News from tonight's Bermondsey Community Council meeting:

- Information boards will soon be going up on the fencing around the site explaining what has been found and what exactly can be seen from the pavement.

- Leaflets are being produced with a timeline of the history of the site.

- There will be a series of events this month when local residents can visit the site and meet the archaeologists who will explain what's what and answer any questions. The dates and times will be posted on the fencing. Matt from Igloo regeneration has promised to send me the details too, so we will publicise them here and in SE1 Direct.

- A film is being made of the whole Bermondsey Square construction project, including the current dig.

The foundations of the buildings that are going up on the site are having to be adjusted to take account of the more extensive than expected remains of the abbey.

Discussions as to the best way of preserving the remains are ongoing.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 1 February 2006 10.11pm
Thanks James - well done!
Friday 3 February 2006 6.37pm
Its fantastic that the events for local people are happening. Its very unusual for archaeoligical sites to offer this; all sorts of health and safety and other reasons are offered why 'it can't be done'. I tried to get some events for locals when we had the dig at Tabard Square but got nowhere, though there were several interesting talks. Southwark is one of the few London boroughs that has an archaeology officer, and I have been speaking to her about getting more access for local people to our archaeology but it seems to be very difficult. Its very dependant on the developers, and some are more community minded than others.
Friday 3 February 2006 6.47pm
There is an archaeology officer in the City of London!! She has been to the site and took some pictures of what they found.
Friday 3 February 2006 7.03pm
I understand it's quite unusual to have one. I guess we and the City have the best remains.
Friday 3 February 2006 7.12pm
The City has alot of archaeology, it's very interesting. Prehaps we should contact MoLAS who do dig's and see if they have any more in Southwark!
Friday 3 February 2006 7.45pm
Advance notice, I know, but I think the work at Bermondsey Abbey may be mentioned at this forthcoming meeting of SLAS:

GLIAS newsletter wrote:
14 March Tue 7.30pm,
RECENT LOCAL ARCHAEOLOGICAL AND HISTORICAL WORK
A Southwark and Lambeth Archaeological Society evening.
The Housing Co-op Hall, 106 The Cut. 1 non-members
Wednesday 8 February 2006 6.09pm
Today I was showing a friend the wonderful old walls and fireplaces now very visible through the view holes in the Tower Bridge Road fence. It is truly worth getting down for a look whilst it's all visible. A friendly archaeological worker kindly gave us an idea of what we were looking at. Fantastic. There are parts of the Abbey church the later Manor House and the cloisters now visible.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 3 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions