London SE1 community website

Bermondsey Abbey Archaeological Dig

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 4 of 5
Wednesday 8 February 2006 6.59pm
As far as I remember a dig was carried out in the late 60's early 70's. The abbey stretched across TBR into Abbey street. Ever wondered why there used to be a strange little street in the shape of a v on TBR where the market is? It used to be the forecourt of the esso garage that sat there. There was a relic that was from the abbey housed within the wall of the garage (it was enclosed in brick and had a wire glass front) This was stolen sometime in the 80's.

If you come further down towards the traffic lights at the junction with Grange rd where the flats now sit, that used to be the site of 1. The Horseshoe pub and 2. the Trocette (a music hall). Both of these sit on the site of Edward III's hunting lodge which was discovered when the foundatiuons for the block of flats was about to be poured.
Thursday 9 February 2006 11.23am
Bill I am so pleased you remember the petrol station and the piece of masonry, every else i spoke to forgot it...
Thursday 9 February 2006 11.43am
i remember a white pillar-which may have been a wall with a glass panel in from when i was a kid-was that the massonary ??
Thursday 9 February 2006 12.34pm
thats right dee dee. i often wondered where it went to....probably in some dusty cellar in bermondsey town hall, i was told there were quite a few artifacts hidden there.
Monday 13 February 2006 2.37pm
As promised, details of open days herewith:
Pre-Construct Archaeology wrote:
Members of the public are invited to attend open days at the IGLOO Bermondsey Square Regeneration Project to view the archaeological remains of Bermondsey Abbey which are being excavated by Pre-Construct Archaeology Limited. The remains will be visible and archaeologists will be in attendance to describe their work on Saturday 4th March, Sunday 5th March and Sunday 12th March between 10.30am and 3.30pm.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 14 February 2006 5.09pm
Presumably you just turn up on the day? James, do you know whether we need to book, or can we just turn up? I hope they will let us walk around on the site, not just peep through the holes.
Tuesday 14 February 2006 5.12pm
That's all the information I was sent. I would assume that pre-booking is not required.

Friday 17 February 2006 7.07pm
hi James, hi all, this is my first posting. i am in the initial stages of making a film about the history, past, present and future (?) of Bermondsey Antiques Market. i have lived locally here for the past 7 years (six of them in a flat above the old Antiques Market Building on teh corner of Long lane and Bermondsey Street), so i feel for the stall holders and the general richness of the area and would like to do something to help commemorate it and celebrate it. . (i have recently finished a short film about the London Routemaster Bus which was shown at the Ritzy in Brixton - full details on this website
http://www.farewellroutemaster.co.uk

- it is being shown again on Sunday 19th February if anyone would be interested in toddling along).

anyhooo back to Bermondsey Square.. i had also heard about another film being made. does anyone know who is making this film and who it is for? i would love to get in touch with the filmmakers. perhaps in the near future i could talk to some of you who have posted on this subject about your memories and experiences of the Market and the area???
cheers kev
Friday 3 March 2006 12.05pm
Hi Kevin - I have sent you a private message with the address of the Igloo Regeneration people who should be able to tell you more about the other film. It was just mentioned in passing as part of a presentation at the last Bermondsey Community Council meeting.

Just thought I would bump this thread up the list to remind people that hte first open day is tomorrow.

Friday 3 March 2006 1.19pm
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 4 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions