London SE1 community website

Bermondsey Abbey Archaeological Dig

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5
Current: 5 of 5
Saturday 4 March 2006 8.23pm
Thanks to everyone involved in organising this.

The team on site are a really friendly and enthusiastic bunch, eager to explain what you can see.

Amazingly the stones of the south west tower were just a few inches under the tarmac, which is apparently going to require a redesign of bits of the ground floor of the new development. Rather than backfilling everything as originally planned, there may be glass floors in some areas to see the ruins, rather like in Southwark Cathedral's Millennium building.
Sunday 5 March 2006 11.42am
Did anyone take any pictures? I'm unable to attend but would be interested in what they found.
Sunday 5 March 2006 12.02pm
Pictures and report coming later today on this site.

As well as yesterday and today it's also open next Sunday (12th)

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Sunday 5 March 2006 7.30pm
A salutory experience. Those archaeology guys are like chessplayers, looking at things we can't see as they can. They showed me that our present is just a palimpsest on what has gone before. Humbling.

Its open next week. Have a look before it's too late.
Sunday 5 March 2006 7.57pm
the two open days this weekend were fantastic, it's a great opportunity to see something truly unique. the archeologists were briliant, their passion and knowledge shining through, patiently explaining again and again the history of the site and the plans for the development. i was filming saturday and sunday, interviewing them and getting other stories from people who attended. i will be posting some clips onto my website (please be patient - it will take me a couple of weeks to organise) as part of my project on Bermondsey Antiques Market. once posted i will let you all know, (if you couldn't make it to the dig). if you can make it, YOU HAVE TO GO!!
Monday 6 March 2006 2.11pm
Fascinating and really helpful experts on hand. Go see!
Monday 6 March 2006 3.49pm
yes, well worth it.
Wednesday 8 March 2006 2.03pm
I have just found a print of the old houses in Grange Walk with the Gate hinges in dated 1851 on the Motco Map...it shows the old houses also.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5
Current: 5 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions