London SE1 community website

Punk Lives in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 2 February 2006 8.57pm
I've been worrying whether to post this and risk being crowded out by Yuppies rushing outta Bermondsey Street to cross the great divide of the Old/New Kent Road to taste some authenticity... But my community spirit won out and I'm sharing this.

I saw a great gig at the Crown and Anchor, New Kent Road (corner of Rodney Place) recently. The band are on again this week.

The C&A is an old style Irish boozer. Peter, the guv'nor, risked the wrath of the half dozen locals by turning the place into a music venue on saturday nights.

The place gets a friendly mass of art students and burnt-out punk dinosaurs, the odd blow-in east European (punk's just getting to Poland).

The beer's not hiked up and there're no bouncers. The night has a rough and ready feel, and I don't mean threatening rough. As I said, a good atmos. Punk legends (well, in SE1 anyway) P.A.I.N play this week.

I've got no connection to the place except I like it.
Thursday 2 February 2006 9.36pm
hurry up harry!

(nice one. might give it a try, but not this w/e as we're away)

...if you press it, they will come.

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions