London SE1 community website

Recycle bins Tooley Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Monday 13 January 2003 10.00am
Wow, now that's a helpful reply! Thanks.
Tuesday 14 January 2003 10.39pm
I emailed Southwark council and was told they might be gone for a month. I kindly suggested next time they do this they erect a sign on the spot for local residents - just to keep us informed! By the way, does anyone know when this council might get its act together and start collecting recyclables from our houses, as happens in most first world countries? Or am I dreaming?
Wednesday 15 January 2003 4.24pm
Southwark Council should ask how Derby Council organise it...the recycling facilities there are fantastic.....
Saturday 18 January 2003 1.38pm
Having being inconvenienced this morning by the removal of the bins, and been frustrated by the failure of the culprits to provide information on the nearest site, I share everyone's view - and the Council is now suppoesd to be a green friendly Liberal Dem run borough! Why not put some by the hoardings in the wasteland that is the antique market. I live there, so no NIMBY me!

They have started providing bins to each household for waste paper, which are collected every two weeks. Things went a bit awry over Xmas, but I called them up and they were collected that afternoon. So it's a
5/10 from me.
Tuesday 21 January 2003 3.54pm
" Re: Recycling Collections and the Blue Box Scheme"
Southwark Council collects paper from the doorsteps of more than 55,000 households. This scheme is gradually being rolled out to all areas of the borough and will eventually include glass and can/tin recycling as well. If you have a wheelie bin or kerbside collection for your household rubbish, you should also be able to have a blue box to recycle your paper. If you don't have one already, call 020 7525 2000 or e-mail [email protected]
Southwark is also looking at how best to collect recycling from housing estates and apartment blocks. A pilot paper recycling scheme is currently running on the Brimmington Estate. Once the pilot scheme is running smoothly & we're sure we've got it right, we plan to roll it out to other housing estates. If you have any suggestions or comments about recycling, please do contact us - you can e-mail Dave Taylor in the recycling unit directly using the address: [email protected] or call him on 020 7525 2455.
Tuesday 28 January 2003 11.40am
Well uou should try using the blue box scheme organised by Southwark Council for recycling paper. We ordered a blue box but then we put it outside to be picked up it wasn't picked up for 2 months!! I had to ring the council several times about the box and get them to pick it up. Its a joke. How on earth are people supposed to be encouraged to recycle when the facilities are so inadequate??

Thursday 30 January 2003 7.15pm
Maybe it's time we contacted our MPs and made a fuss about the lack of facilities? either that or email this dave taylor guy ([email protected] ). I am also disgusted that there are no plastics recycling anywhere to be found.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions