London SE1 community website

Crazy road repairs

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Jac
Friday 24 February 2006 12.38pm
The resurfacing certainly makes trinty street more pleasant to cycle on it was but speed cussions that go right across the road aren't good news for cyclists. They slow them down too.

I just cant help but feel that Trinity street has had a diproportionate amount of money spent on it over recent years. They narrowed the road and put in a zebra crossing. Then they got rid of them when they closed it to through traffic. They resurface the road (sure it could do with it in places but there are many more residential, main roads and desiganted cycle routes that are in a far worse state). Now speed humps. Why not just pedestrainise the whole road, ban cyclists, cars and motor bikes and be done with it?
Friday 24 February 2006 12.45pm
Ivanhoe wrote:
So, not content with having the lovely new tarmac on Trinity St PRACTICALLY to yourself (as a cyclist), you want to make sure it's nice and inconvenient for those nasty motorcyclists as well.

1) I've never seen or heard a motorbike causing any problems down Trinity St/Falmouth Rd. What causes you to think otherwise?

2) As a general principle, m'bikes neither need nor want to be anywhere near cyclists (or other traffic). I fail to see how they are an inconvenience to you at all, but would be interested to learn.

Living on Trinity Street (by Gt Dover St), I all too often see motorbikes speeding down the road, maybe because of the lack of traffic... I am not against people driving/biking/cycing down the road, just as long as they obey the limit.
My gripe about the speed cushions has more to do with the ones currently in Harper Road which in my opinion are far too vicious (almost like driving over kerbs). Down this road, people still drive too fast despite the cushions, particularly vans and bikes as they straddle the cushions. Having tried th straddling method in my car, I found that after a year, the insides of my tyres were completely worn out whilst the outsides were amlost like new, so I now have to slow down to 10mph to go over the cushions (often with one tyre on the cushion, another off - making my car make worrying groaning noises!).
ADT
Friday 24 February 2006 1.15pm
eustacem wrote:
As far as I know, the junction of Trinity Street and Great Dover Street will be opened up, but only at weekends. I'm not sure how they are going to enforce this, but it should still prevent Trinity Street being used as a rat run during the working week.

There is a weekend opening system in place on some roads in Cambridge, and they use rising bollards that also go up and down during the week to let buses & taxis past. Rising bollards might not combine well with student accomodation and a pub though...
Friday 24 February 2006 1.59pm
Opening those roads on weekends is a waste of time and money, imho.

If they need to be closed in the week (presumably to stop residential streets being full of commuter traffic), then the main group of people inconvenienced (ignoring commuters, as I assume that blocking them is the point of the exercise) are residents within the closed-off areas who have to take a long way round to get in or out of the closed zone. That's an inconvenience, but I assume that it's more than made up for by the lack of commuter traffic going past residents' front doors.

On weekends there is very little commuter traffic down Gt Dover St, and so anyone who lives on, say, Trinity St can easily drive round the block to get in or out (as they would have to do in the week - but in a fraction of the time).

I realise that there's another debate about whether these roads should be closed at all, but can anyone tell me what's the benefit of opening them at weekends only?

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 24 February 2006 2.59pm
Ivanhoe's raised the question I had - Why is Trinity St closed in the first place?
Friday 24 February 2006 3.16pm
I think that if you do a search on this site you'll find a long thread from around 6 months ago with all the relevant info (but I think the short answer is that when it and Falmouth Rd were open they were non-stop full of commuter traffic cutting between Gt Dover St and Newington Causeway/NKR).

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 24 February 2006 3.23pm
Jac wrote:
I just cant help but feel that Trinity street has had a diproportionate amount of money spent on it over recent years. They narrowed the road and put in a zebra crossing. Then they got rid of them when they closed it to through traffic. They resurface the road (sure it could do with it in places but there are many more residential, main roads and desiganted cycle routes that are in a far worse state). Now speed humps. Why not just pedestrainise the whole road, ban cyclists, cars and motor bikes and be done with it?

Jac's question can be partly answered by a review of the history of the Trinity Newington Residents' Association here. It may well be a disproportionate amount of money, but it just goes to show what a dedicated and organised group of people can do to improve their local environment.

Maybe we should start a Long Lane Residents' association ? [TSIC for the avoidance of all doubt] Top of my list would be forcing every developer building there to replace and improve the pavements immediately (most of the stones being cracked from subsidence from the works themselves and from having lorries parked on them) and preventing those same developers from parking said lorries on one side of a narrow road without putting up some kind of traffic control. There were three lorries parked there one after the other on the bend by Jac's house on Sunday. I had to pull out blindly, because I couldn't see what was coming the other way. Luckily I was going more slowly than the idiot zooming off Tower Bridge Road and stopped about 2 feet away from his bumper.
Friday 24 February 2006 4.09pm
Siduhe

what a good idea!!
Saturday 25 February 2006 1.51am
Jac said the speed humps in the road will slow cyclist down.

"How is this possible when every cyclist in SE1 is ignorant of all traffic rules and regulations, and will be cycling on the pavement anyway!?" I hear Ivanhoe say..... ;-)
Jac
Sunday 26 February 2006 1.48pm
Jon - I think your trying to stir things up!
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions