London SE1 community website

Recycling plastic: now not just bottles

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
ARJ
Friday 10 March 2006 12.20am
Bottles are being used, not dumped. What would be the commerical logic in Chinese firms buying up our bottles, shipping them half way around the world and then throwing them away?

Most PET bottles from the UK get shipped into Guangdong in southern China via Hong Kong, get processed, converted into polyester and enter the textile manufacturing chain, to end up in carpets, clothing etc. A quick search on Google will show you the firms that do it. The containers that the bottles travel in would have been going back anyhow - shipping lines spend a fortune sending 'empties' back to China to get re-filled with all the toys, electronics, clothing, shoes etc. that we buy from there.
Saturday 11 March 2006 10.40pm
I used to be good for a long time, sorting out my stuff in bags, taking them down to Tesco's in the car, but got fed up with my place looking like a local tip, so as there are no collection facilities, everything is back in the bin, which I hate!!! It's so wasteful! I re-use what I can, but everything seems to be so disposable now, it's just ridiculous! Unless the council's can do something for estates where they collect, etc, it won't get any better! Too may can't afford to have a car, let alone drive the waste somewhere!
Sunday 12 March 2006 9.13am
unfortunately there is a problem with recycling in southwark.
whilst i really appreciate all the efforts the council is making to introduce recycling and come up with good ideas , the reality depends where you live.
i have now given up recycling because the collection didn't really work and the stuff was outside for longer than 24hrs, the bags were continous stolen by some tramps, the papers tipped out on the street, the same for the plastic boxes tins and bottles.
needless to say after the 10th time i was tired of cleaning up my efforts on my doorstep.
every time the round forgot my address i rang up and mentioned it, but they never showed up, but once.
maybe i will give it another try in a couple of months when the tramps have moved on and the council is putting my street back on the list.
schnake
Sunday 12 March 2006 10.05am
When this thread first went up, I thought great, find out more, especially what plastics and whether they just go in with the plastic bottles in the communal recycling bins (I dont have collection, being on an estate). I sent a short email asking 3 simple questions to the recycling info email on Southwark's website, which I now know goes to the 'Environmental Contact Centre'.

SInce then, and its about 2 weeks now, I have had to resend the email 4 times because it kept being replied to by people who hadn't read it! I then submitted it via my councillor who circulated it to several staff in recycling, yet I still have had no answer to my really straightforward questions (10 days or so now). Over a week ago I phoned the contact centre,was promised a call back - nothing.

Recycling may or may not be working but the Contact Centre is not. Its a waste of our money, does not do its job, and makes things difficult, protracted and inconvenient for residents. (have had similar if not worse experience with it on other occasions too)
Sunday 12 March 2006 10.47am
is there anyone there who recycles batteries as I do not like to keep throwing them out so have a huge bag full of dead batteries?

www.promomat.biz - affordable wooden dolls houses with furniture and dolls, pirate ships and educational board game. Been caught out with forged notes we have the solution Check-a-Note counterfeit money detector - we found it so effective that we decided to become resellers. Even used by the House of Lords!
Sunday 12 March 2006 12.43pm
You may get a quicker and more sensible response if you use the Recylcing Forum on the Southwark website. The administrator of that forum seems to have a brain.
Sunday 12 March 2006 1.54pm
Thanks, will try that. It couldn't be any slower!
Jac
Tuesday 14 March 2006 4.25pm
Since this post I have been putting other plastics in my blue box clearly on view and they have been collected. After ms .jo post I was wondering if I should. However today someone added a fast food wrapper and polystyrene cup to the blue bag which was left un emptied with a sticker saying it was not collected because it had rubbish that was not recyclable. As they emptied the box can we assume that the other plastics (yogurt pots etc)are acceptable for recycling now?
Tuesday 14 March 2006 4.47pm
After several more aborted attempts to get information, I have now spoken to a helpful person in the recycling section (that's all I wanted in the first place). It seems that recycling possibilities are increasing almost by the day, with new things being introduced all the time. Therefore the contact centre (if you can get any sense out of them) is always out of date. The website is being updated as we speak, apparently.

I hope I have remembered this correctly:
The situation is now that you can put plastic bottles and other plastics (food trays, margarine tubs and yoghurt pots and similar, bottle lids, but NOT thin filmy stuff like wrapping or bags) in the communal recycling bins, and in the blue boxes for street houses, but I'm not sure about the new estate collection blue box collections. (You can certainly put plastic bottles in the estate boxes, I'm just not sure about other plastics.) Apparently it is difficult to find markets for plastics which are collected together, hence the gradual introductions. It sounded like more options will be on the way, and the estate collections are being increased to 90 more properties.
Tuesday 14 March 2006 4.47pm
Like TUMJ, I sent an email with some queries about recycling plastic, particularly whether the block I live in, which has paper and glass recycling facilities, could also have plastic facilities. However, almost three weeks later, still no response!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions