London SE1 community website

Recycling plastic: now not just bottles

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3
Friday 17 March 2006 2.31pm
Extracts from a Southwark press release just received:
Southwark Council wrote:
Southwark residents can now recycle plastic food trays, yoghurt pots, margarine tubs and all plastic bottles including shampoo and detergent containers through the weekly blue box collection scheme.
Previously, only plastic drinks bottles were collected through the scheme.

Glass bottles and jars, cans, paper, card and cardboard are also collected on a weekly basis.

Southwark Council wrote:
Some plastics such as clingfilm, plastic bags and plastic wrapping cannot be recycled through the blue box scheme. For more information on recycling, contact Southwark Council on 020 7525 2000, visit www.southwark.gov.uk/recycle or email environment@southwark.gov.uk

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 17 March 2006 7.29pm
"For more information on recycling, contact Southwark Council on 020 7525 2000, visit www.southwark.gov.uk/recycle or email environment@southwark.gov.uk"

Don't bother! its a waste of time, I tried all of those and you either get no answer or an incorrect one. The best information is here, on James's website.

I went to the launch of the new wormery initiative this morning (will post about it later in the wormery thread) and was assured by some sensible-sounding people that in the next week or two the updated website will be live, the contact centre will be informed, text on the recycling banks changed, and leaflets delivered. But you heard it here first!
Tuesday 21 March 2006 10.38pm
The Southwark website has been updated and is now as up-to-date as us on here!
ADT
Monday 3 April 2006 8.41am
Not sure if this is new, or if I just didn't notice it before, but the recycling point at the Bricklayers Arms end of Great Dover Street now has a sticker on the can bin letting you know that you can put plastic bottles in as well as cans. I assume that other recycling points will be the same.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions