London SE1 community website

Tabard Tower blue box

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 3 of 10
Tuesday 28 February 2006 2.02pm
I'll try and get some pics of the tower this evening.
Tuesday 28 February 2006 2.25pm
I got some last night but not put them up.
Tuesday 28 February 2006 4.09pm
I quite like the box. If they can faze the lights in a tasteful way and perhaps make it not so bright it will be a nice new landmark.
Tuesday 28 February 2006 8.37pm
I gotta agree on on that - incredible waste of energy.

Jan the old one wrote:
Do you know I think life is so contradictory... with so much emphasis on global warming we permit all these schemes that use more of our planet's resources than ever...I think lights in shop displays should be turned off when the shop is closed, even turned off at midnight would help....all unneccessary lights should go.
Tuesday 28 February 2006 8.43pm
Has it been on tonight? I've only just got in.
Tuesday 28 February 2006 8.47pm
I have nothing against the box, per se (probably because I can't see it / be disturbed by it from my flat on Long Lane). TULMJ, I can't access Southwark's planning register from work but there was a planning application fairly recently (last 8 months or so) which refered to amending external lighting plans for the Tabard Tower - that may be the one you are looking for. Or it could just be the builders having a bit of fun (like cranes at Christmas) ?

To echo other's comments however, it seems an incredible waste of electricity.

Also, I was back home 'oop North' recently and spent a very pleasant [albeit freezing] hour sitting outside on the roof with friends watching the stars (they live way out in the middle of nowhere). I can't remember the last time I could see the stars in London - the amount of ambient light given off by shops, streetlamps and other lighting blocks them out. It's a shame IMHO.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 28 February 2006 8.48pm by Siduhe.
Tuesday 28 February 2006 9.36pm
I can see the stars and moon from my flat, though obviously its not as good a show as from somewhere dark. I remember lying on the floor in my living room watching a whole lunar eclipse as it moved across the sky - just where the Tabard Tower is now. The extra height on your building and the erection of the one next door has eliminated the dusky redness at the bottom of the sky that I used to be able to see after sunset for a half-hour or so (though it has given me some lovely neighbours in the form of yourself and Janefs).

I am very glad the attention-seeking coloured square has gone. I really hope it was temporary. I appreciate it was probably a funky feature when viewed from further away, but from here it felt like one of those TV screens with constantly moving advertising vying for your attention whilst you are trying to queue in the post office or looking through the bus window.

I rang the planners today, they had not had time to trawl through the pile of applications for the site to check properly, but I was told that "no-one in West Area Team could remember consent being granted for anything like that". You may well be right about the recent application, the planners may well not remember; I think the planning workforce probably turns over every 3 months! Planning enforcement have told me that it would also need advertising consent, which they also could not remember being granted. I have asked them to investigate, so all those of you who enjoy the light show, enjoy it while you can!
Tuesday 28 February 2006 10.25pm
Found it - Application 05-AP-1890 or here. It may be worth you suggesting SC start with this if you want to pursue it.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 28 February 2006 10.26pm by Siduhe.
Tuesday 28 February 2006 10.56pm
It seems to switch off at 6.30pm on the dot.
Tuesday 28 February 2006 11.00pm
The Unladylike Ms. Jo wrote:
I have asked them to investigate, so all those of you who enjoy the light show, enjoy it while you can!
'
What a misery guts!

If you want to see the stars from your home then wouldn't it be better choose to live in the middle of nowhere rather than in the centre of one of the largest urban connurbations in the world?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 3 of 10

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions