London SE1 community website

Tabard Tower blue box

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 4 of 10
Wednesday 1 March 2006 12.24am
I dont have any expectation about seeing stars from the city, its just nice from time to time, but I do think its a bit much having a large, very bright, constantly changing object vying for one's attention in one's living room every evening. 6.30pm I can probably put up with if others like it, but not all evening every evening.

(anyway I didn't have a lot of choice about living here, and have even less choice now)
Wednesday 1 March 2006 12.38am
Thanks Siduhe. I will email them, and warn them to come before 6.30 if doing a site inspection!

It may be that they do have full permissions, in which case you can all enjoy the show and I'll be looking for blinds on freecycle. If they dont, what often happens in these cases is that permissions are applied for and granted retrospectively. And the thing may be temporary anyway. So I may not be spoiling anyone's fun - we'll see. I've not had the opportunity yet to pop down there and ask about it, I'll do that when I can.
Wednesday 1 March 2006 11.20am
I can put you all out of your misery now: it's a barometer - the colour changes according to the atmospheric pressure. Lit 24/7 but with light intensity decreasing overnight to minimise light pollution.

Official launch tomorrow - news story and pictures then.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 1 March 2006 11.46am
Oh, a barometer! One of those instruments that hardly anyone understands, and with different coloured lights instead of a scale (so people who do understand barometers can't even make sense of it). Just what we needed.

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 1 March 2006 11.52am
Jonathan K...some of us oldies don't have a choice where we live..:-) and in common with thousands of others still remember a starrier ( is that correct grammar?) sky here in the middle of an urban connurbation..and now I'll have to look it up and see what it means...

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 1 March 2006 12.01pm by Jan the old one.
Wednesday 1 March 2006 11.55am
Aha, mystery solved. Presumably it wont be changing every 10 seconds then - hopefully that was just a test (but who knows, I'm not fully conversant with 3-storey lightox barometers 200 foot up in the air). If it was a reasonable size, I would say that it was a nice interesting feature. I wonder whether or not they did apply for advertising consent - could be a bit of a damp squib launch if they have the planning enforcement officers hot on their tail!
Wednesday 1 March 2006 11.55am
ok so it is a barometer -why put it on top of the tower? especially if there is no explanation of what each colour means then dooes not have even educational value!!

i suppose the only value is it is a good beacon to find ones way home if had a few too many
Wednesday 1 March 2006 12.09pm

I also have more detailed info with the thresholds for the different colours which vary by season - watch out for tomorrow's article.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 1 March 2006 12.49pm
Jan the old one wrote:
Jonathan K...some of us oldies don't have a choice where we live..:-) and in common with thousands of others still remember a starrier ( is that correct grammar?) sky here in the middle of an urban connurbation..and now I'll have to look it up and see what it means...

Yes, that's true - but I suppose if that's the case then you are quite fortunate that fate has put you in SE1! It could have been Colindale or Chingford. Or Hull.

Things do change though, especially in central areas like these and this must have been evident the whole time you have been here? I guess the rate of change may be faster now that there is more investment in the area.

There used to be uniform smogs hanging over London for much of the year because of the pollution caused by factories and coal fires. The sky would hardly have visible at all during either the day or the night. Not all developments and change are necessarily bad things!
Wednesday 1 March 2006 1.20pm
Jonathan, the last time i can remember a real proper smoggy fog was when I was about 9 or ten..I'd been down old kent road and intended to go home via Tabard Park, we lived in Long Lane, I crossed over near the bricklayers pub, aprroximately where tower bridge nursing home is now, wandered past the shops , then found myself nearly colliding with a horse drinking trough near the the end of prioress street, then wandered in another direction ending up in great dover street near the borough. there was the weirdest feeling wandering along in muffled muted sounds and yellow smog! people were going along with torches....did not see any stars though, apart from when me mum belted me for being late!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 4 of 10

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions