London SE1 community website

Tabard Tower blue box

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 5 of 10
Wednesday 1 March 2006 1.32pm
Would be interesting if the colours varied with the changing air pollution levels.
The sooty deposit that builds up on window sills in SE1 is amazing.
I have my binoculars ready for when the Tower residents move in. I want to know if
they're watching me watching them watching me.
Wednesday 1 March 2006 2.06pm
I still think it's a phenomenal waste of electricity for little seeming reward, although I'll wait for James' full report with interest to see if it's powered by renewable energy.

Am glad they've thought about the light pollution aspect though.
Wednesday 1 March 2006 2.42pm
phoney wrote:
Would be interesting if the colours varied with the changing air pollution levels.

They could easily do that.....just by NOT changing the colour. Then, any colour change you see would be due to a change in air quality.

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 1 March 2006 7.22pm
I didn't think of that Ivanhoe

Ms Jo, when the building is fully operational and the stairwells, lifts and flats are lit from dusk 'til dawn,
I imagine topping the whole thing off with a changing colour effect would be welcome.
I am disappointed when it goes off at 6:30pm.
It would be interesting to see the results if James could re-introduce the POLL feature. My guess is
most people would be in favour of having it on until midnight at least, although the results might
differ before and after the whole building is lit up.
The only drawback with the POLL software is that with such a low voting base the results can easily
be manipulated by deleting the SE1 cookie and voting again ever time you log on.
As for the environmental side, I doubt if it has any more consequences than one of those battered
chicken signs that adorn Borough High St.
Wednesday 1 March 2006 7.32pm
The Unladylike Ms. Jo wrote:
I dont have any expectation about seeing stars from the city, its just nice from time to time, but I do think its a bit much having a large, very bright, constantly changing object vying for one's attention in one's living room every evening. 6.30pm I can probably put up with if others like it, but not all evening every evening.
(anyway I didn't have a lot of choice about living here, and have even less choice now)

Can't resist, TUMJ - I too have 'a large, very bright, constantly changing objet' vying for my attention at various times of the [usually] early morning - it's the Moon in various phases as it tracks across my west facing windows. The full version can be incredibly bright and when the reflected light wakes me it's some compensation to watch the movement across the window and realise how fast we are all travelling through space...oops I'm getting a bit philosphical. Reality check - must object to anything Berkeley Homes do.......
Wednesday 1 March 2006 11.03pm
You're right to point out the paradox. I think I found the lightbox awful but the moon pleasant because of the striking colour of the lightbox and particularly because of the colour change every 10 seconds. It is also much larger than the moon. You are right that there is a psychological element to it though. I have often wondered why I find traffic noise objectionable but birdsong lovely, even though both can keep me awake early in the morning. I've never found a satisfying answer to that one.

Having found out its a barometer, I feel its quite intriguing, but I wish they had made it MUCH smaller. Really, at the end of the day, its main function is surely not as a barometer but as a 'feature' to draw attention to the development, just an interesting twist on the old clock and thermometer thing that you often see.

If you are hinting that my objections are motivated by a dogmatic dislike of Berkeleys, I can assure you that's not the case. As it happens, I do dislike many things that Berkeleys have done, but not everything, and I hope I dislike them because of their effects and not because they are to do with Berkeleys (though who knows what unconscious associations are at play). I can assure you I would find the lightbox equally difficult were it on top of Guys Hospital.
Thursday 2 March 2006 8.54am
Sorry, TUMJ the Berkeleys comment was TIC, very firmly. The Tabard square light box does seem too intrusive and certainly is only there to help publicise the development. It's also a massive waste of energy, as are many of the lights I can see from my windows at night. That said, a light box on top of Guys would at least distract from the mass of that particular concrete lump.
Thursday 2 March 2006 10.29am
A barometer would be much more useful if it showed the pressure trend (ie. rising or falling and how fast). So its kind of only half a barometer.
Thursday 2 March 2006 11.17am
The Unladylike Ms. Jo wrote:
A barometer would be much more useful if it showed the pressure trend (ie. rising or falling and how fast). So its kind of only half a barometer.

Shame it's not a bar
Thursday 2 March 2006 11.55am
Yes. A bar at the top of the tower would be much more useful.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 5 of 10

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions