London SE1 community website

Tabard Tower blue box

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 6 of 10
Thursday 2 March 2006 12.30pm
It doesnt look good from northside of river.
Thursday 2 March 2006 12.38pm
Whereabouts can you actually see the box from the northside of the river ? Coming over London Bridge or from Southwark Bridge ?

I only ask because I've been looking out for it recently to see what it looks like from a distance and it seems to me to be quite obscured from the north, but easily seen from the south.
Thursday 2 March 2006 2.36pm
I think its the same building you see from the riverside opposite London Bridge.
Thursday 2 March 2006 3.43pm
So do I understand correctly that you were able to see the blue box from north side of London Bridge (when standing on the bridge) ?

I ask because I had a good look yesterday and couldn't see it from any easily accessible ground level point on the north side of the river between London Bridge and Southwark Bridge (I was trying to show it to someone when we were out on a run). I will have another look tonight at a more leisurely pace.
Thursday 2 March 2006 4.41pm
there is this masive building sticking up behind Southwark Cathedral.Its hard to miss realy.Im sure its the same one.
Thursday 2 March 2006 4.48pm
I assume it will be on full blast tonight, seeing as it is the launch. Should be unmistakable.
Thursday 2 March 2006 4.52pm
Micky,

At the risk of turning this into something out of all proportion to my original question - I would be grateful for a clearer answer.

I'm sorry if I'm not expressing myself well enough for you, so let me try again - I'm asking you to explain exactly where you were standing on the north bank of the river to be able to see the Tabard development and the blue box. In particular, were you at ground level or on an upper floor in a building ? Were you standing on London Bridge itself ? For the development to be "behind Southwark Cathedral", it seems to me you would have to be closer to Southwark Bridge to have a line of sight. If you could just say clearly where you were, that would be very helpful.

There is a serious purpose to this question (well, serious-ish) rather than idle curiosity.
Thursday 2 March 2006 5.01pm
From the opposite side of the river to southwark Cathederal you can see it stiking up to the left of southwark Cathederal.not sure about the blue box.
Thursday 2 March 2006 6.30pm
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/2033

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 2 March 2006 6.54pm
an ideal way of generating the electricity for the barometer would be a wind powered generator of some sort on the roof, just like the ones that will supposedly be built into the top of the E&C developement.

This could power the box, and also the 24/7 lights in stairwells, and also maybe some electricty in the flats. this would certainly reduce the overheads. I think all blocks of flats or offices should be forced to have some kind of renewable energy in place, solar panels or wind turbines (or maybe hydrometers inside downpipes), but that's probably for another thread..
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 6 of 10

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions