London SE1 community website

Tabard Tower blue box

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 7 of 10
Thursday 2 March 2006 7.04pm
Is it green tonight?

If so, we can see it from a colleague's sixth floor office in Westminster rising above the whole of the rest of the South Bank skyline.
Anonymous User
Thursday 2 March 2006 8.40pm
It is green, LR. Have just come past there. It was much smaller than I was expecting.
Thursday 2 March 2006 10.10pm
I LOVE the barometer beacon . It is a welcome addition to my skyline view. Alongside St. Pauls, tonights green cube (obviously low pressure!) looks very calming and welcoming (does that sound weird?). Not sure if I would want to live on the top flat (see link) for it to be flooded with various colours 24hrs a day! This could of course save on your lighting bill, having paid 595,000 for the pleasure.
Anonymous User
Thursday 2 March 2006 11.00pm
I like it too... I read the feature & thought how much I'd like to live in that top flat!
Thursday 2 March 2006 11.12pm
I also like it a lot! It will be nice to benorth of the river and see the barometer: to me that will mean 'nearly home'!
Friday 3 March 2006 10.07am
I walked from Waterloo to Bricklayers Arms last night and I thought the green light was a pleasant sight along the way.
Friday 3 March 2006 11.00am
I'm sure I'd like it if I lived a mile away.
Friday 3 March 2006 12.56pm
i agree with Jo, i live a fair distance away, and can see it from my window, and it's not intrusive, sits well next to the other towers i can see, tower 42, gherkin, Tate modern one side, and Canary warfe the other, it's just such a shame that i can't see tower bridge as well.

if i lived as near as Jo, i'd probably be objecting as much as she is.
Friday 3 March 2006 2.58pm
Just been down the road and noticed that one of my neighbours who's half the distance from the box as I am, who never had net curtains before, has suddenly got some.
Friday 3 March 2006 3.05pm
Mickey, thanks for the reply - I couldn't see the box from northside London Bridge but it is clearly visible from the Millenium Bridge.

The reason I was interested is that Berkeley Homes apparently stated in some of their correspondence about the light barometer with the council, that it wouldn't have a significant local impact, being too high up and otherwise obscured by buildings when viewed from ground level - but rather was designed to impact on a 1 to 2 mile radius from the development and draw attention to the wonders that are SE1 (heavy paraphrase there).

Jo, I'm conscious that you and your neighbours probably take a different view. On a side note, was it my imagination or was it still on full blast at 9:30pm last night ? I thought it was supposed to decrease in intensity over time ?

Edited 2 times. Last edit at 3 March 2006 3.06pm by Siduhe.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 7 of 10

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions