London SE1 community website

Tabard Tower blue box

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 8 of 10
Friday 3 March 2006 3.34pm
I like it... but it would still work as a beacon even if it was heavily dimmed... the same way the top of the Tate is.

And for it being a barometer - I think that's neat. It's a talking point. Installations don't have to be logical or commonly understood to have a value - in fact the reverse is usually true.
Friday 3 March 2006 5.31pm
It seemed to be on full blast even after midnight, certainly I didn't notice any dimming between 9.30pm when I got home, and later when I went to bed. At least its now not changing colour every 10 seconds.

I agree that people literally over the road probably would not suffer too much because as pointed out, its so high up that it would be almost overhead. I measured from a 1:1000 plan today and am just under 200m away, on the 1st floor, directly North of the tower (that sounds like a reasonable distance, but remember that this thing is over 2 storeys high and almost as wide). My flat is orientated so that its main windows face directly South, ie. towards the tower. The light box is just the wrong height from here - its low enough to feel its peering in at you, but high enough that its bang in the middle of the part of the sky where you expect it to be dark, like where the moon would be when its fairly high up.

There are quite a few flats between me and the tower, and many of those will be having it even worse than me. I think it would be worst from about 100m away, for people on upper floors.

Its typical of the council, if indeed they did accept without question the developer's assurances about nuisance. They also did that with the shading and daylight obstruction issues earlier on. The daylighting report was very weak indeed and the studies did not show what they purported to show (I know what I'm talking about, having done research and consultancy in this field), yet the council accepted it. As a result, many people on my estate have got a huge oversized wall of flats across the road from them, and must be feeling very gloomy.
Friday 3 March 2006 6.09pm
Aaaaargh!!!!

It's doing its colour-changing thing again!
Friday 3 March 2006 8.19pm
One of my favorite exhibits at the Tate Modern was the weather projects I have no doubt the glowing box will create a similar effect on a misty day.but I think architects should concentrate on making buildings look good during daylight hours.
Friday 3 March 2006 8.56pm
This box needs a nickname. We have a gherkin and a shard, so what do we call our bright new coloured addition to the neighbourhood?
Friday 3 March 2006 11.13pm
We'll I'd call it an act of desperation.
Saturday 4 March 2006 10.58am
How about:

The Unshadylight is aglow
Saturday 4 March 2006 7.25pm
Now you're just teasing me with your colour-changing words!

I was at Ally Pally this afternoon and couldn't spot the box, even at 6pm. Presumably it was behind something else, though it was rather hazy.
Saturday 4 March 2006 7.57pm
I was at Alexanta Palace today as well.

You get a nice view of St. Paul's . The top of bank side power station looks surpassingly far from St. Pauls , as does the London eye from the Shell building,you cant see Tower bridge.you may well be able to see the box but you would need to use one of the telescopes. I think the view of St Paul's is the one used in the film of mary popins. And hasn't changed much since.
Sunday 5 March 2006 1.30am
The green colour apparently relates to "very low" atmospheric pressure....given that the weather today is clam and clear, I suspect there is something amiss with our state-of-the-art barometer 22 stories up. The Met Office is stating a pressure of around 1000, which is normally considered somewhere between low and high I think. So it seems our barometer is giving us false readings and should not be relied upon just yet!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 8 of 10

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions