London SE1 community website

Tabard Tower blue box

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 9 of 10
Sunday 5 March 2006 9.51pm
I've added more detailed barometric information to the page here - which indicates that green is correct if the pressure is 1000 millibars in March.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 6 March 2006 6.43am
Cheers James, that chart prompted me to google info on barometric pressure. I thought we could
expect to be seeing blue/green in winter and purple/red in summer but it seems all colours will
be seen all year round, although I imagine a range of colours overnight is unlikely at any time
without dramatic weather shifts. I think!

Did You Know
The highest barometer reading recorded in the world is 1083 mb at Agata, Siberia on 31 December 1968.

The lowest barometer reading recorded in the world occurred in the eye of typhoon Tip as it moved across the Pacific to the east of the Philippines on 12 October 1979. The pressure fell to 870 mb.

The highest barometer reading ever made in Britain is 1054.7 mb and was recorded at Aberdeen on 31 January 1902.

The lowest barometer reading in Britain was made at Ochtertyre, Perthshire on 26 January 1884, when the pressure fell to 925.5 mb.
Tuesday 7 March 2006 9.52pm
I think it's neat, I can spot it as I wait for the lift from our block, I've just gotta lean a bit about pressures to make it useful.

Nice to see a developer adding a useful landmark to SE1, although it sounds like they could have consulted better with people in the area.

The elephant has a similar array of lights on various buildings, but they aren't quite so useful. Although very pretty, they are however a bit haphazard, and tend to fail fairly regularly. They're part of "Elephant Impacst"
http://www.elephantandcastle.org.uk/uploads/elephant%2Dimpacts%2Epdf%2Epdf

So you never know if you really don't like the new Tabard light, it may turn out to be as reliable as the Elephant's illuminations and fail.

Although this would be a shame for anyone, like me, who is using it to check the weather :)

Kit
Friday 10 March 2006 12.07pm
I don't live right beside this so it doesn't affect me directly but I do walk past it and think it is horribly out of place.

It is an ad - plain and simple.
It is attempting to increase the value of the properties in the building by creating a "feature" associated with them.

If you support this, then take pride in helping other developments to outdo each other in agressive visual (and inevitably visual and olfactory) "art installations" and "public service installations" such as this giant Simon toy.

I hope you have one built near you soon ,and enjoy it 24 hours a day.
I wonder if it will increae the value of your home to live with it opposite your window?
Friday 10 March 2006 8.22pm
I can't speak about the impact as a local resident these days, but I think I'd find the weird light cast when it is showing green rather offputting if I lived nearby.

I don't find the beacon as intrusive seen across London as the crassly done corporate logos on top of the Canary Wharf towers, but it does set rather another alarming precedent for "me too" lighting projects on otherwise not very architecturally distinguished towers.
yas
Monday 20 March 2006 1.39pm
I live nearby (accross the road) from the "light beacon" and so far haven't found it to bother me as it is rather high up. What bothers me more is the 21 storey structure which looks completely out of place. I don't mind the other buildings which form part of the development. The fact that it has a changing light on the top is a lesser issue.

Frankly, it helps me get home at night and give directions to friends who are coming over for the first time... although before I realised it changed colours, I was accused of being colour-blind. I told a friend to follow the green light and when she eventually found the house she said "did you mean red?" So beware!
Wednesday 22 March 2006 7.33pm
Either we're in for a freak bout of weather or the barometer has gone haywire. It's now going
throught the full range of colours in sequence every minute. More likely it's an advertising ploy
to make people talk about the development. I notice although Berkleys say 80% are sold, they
are still taking out full page ads in the ES and elsewhere. Can't imagine why anyone would pay
up to half a million to live in Long Lane.
Wednesday 22 March 2006 8.05pm
Well it its probably less grim than Shoreditch - and its 2 stops on the tube to the City, less than 10 mins. The question may actually be what took people so long.

Agree with you on the color box though. In fact that whole development could have been done with a bit more of an eye on substance and permanace.

phoney wrote:
Can't imagine why anyone would pay
up to half a million to live in Long Lane.
Tuesday 28 March 2006 6.44pm
Hooray!!! Its gone off! I hope its been struck by lightening or something, and takes ages to repair. Now I can rest my eyes and mind by looking at the subtleties of the lovely strip of blue twilight sky beneath the dark storm clouds behind the silhouettes of the trees - until the inevitable return of the horrid radioactive cube.
Wednesday 29 March 2006 8.33pm
It's green now...
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 9 of 10

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions