London SE1 community website

Village East, Bermondsey St

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 3 of 9
Tuesday 28 February 2006 12.10pm
Tony & I had dinner at Village East last night and tried the grub. They are running an opening week promotion & offering 50% discount on meals - sadly just the food, excluding drinks.

Food was very good and plenty of choice on the menu, ranging from burgers & sandwiches to roast suckling pig with plenty of fish & veggie starters & mains. The staff were very helpful and eager to hear our comments.

Apparently the builders were still in the restaurant until 2pm on Saturday, the staff spent 4 hours cleaning so they could open for business on Saturday night.

Unlike the Hartley, Village East is definitely a place you could go just for a drink without feeling bad about not dining.
Tuesday 28 February 2006 12.19pm
ro-bear wrote:
The Adnams is good, but to match the quality of the food check the wine lists for anything above 20.

It's great to get such honest feedback (about the beers as well).

And to be told that I have to spend over 20 for a decent wine to accompany food IN A BAR will keep me out of the place.

So that's honesty, and customer profiling all in one.

Well done.

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 28 February 2006 12.32pm
"The Adnams is good, but to match the quality of the food check the wine lists for anything above 20."
- Blimey 20 for a wine to go with a fish finger sarnie.
Tuesday 28 February 2006 12.45pm
Ivanhoe wrote:
ro-bear wrote:
The Adnams is good, but to match the quality of the food check the wine lists for anything above 20.

It's great to get such honest feedback (about the beers as well).

And to be told that I have to spend over 20 for a decent wine to accompany food IN A BAR will keep me out of the place.

So that's honesty, and customer profiling all in one.

Well done.

The restaurant is separate to the bars, and is a proper restaurant.

Miss Anne Thrope wrote:
- Blimey 20 for a wine to go with a fish finger sarnie.

I think fish finger sarnie's are in The Garrison, not Village East. Though, of course, I may be wrong...
Tuesday 28 February 2006 1.24pm
Fish finger sarnies are bar snacks at the Garrison- don't think they would be in keeping in new place.
Think we are going to check out the food on Thursday after Juanita's comments about the offer.
Thursday 2 March 2006 12.16am
Nice to hear about something new... will go along and give it a look. Good to hear from those who've actually been before offering an opinion.
Thursday 2 March 2006 9.44am
Went to Village East last night after dinner at the Garrison. Great bar and a fantastic addition to Bermondsey St.. Bar man was friendly, drinks were good (I think they are well priced to keep the clientele smart) and the two red chairs upstairs were extremely comfortable. Music was a good level to allow the conversation to flow. Excellent.
Thursday 2 March 2006 10.00am
Visited Village East yesterday afternoon. Very impressive. Shows a serious level of committment to the area. Obviously a significant investment on the part of Adam and Oliver. Certainly brings some much needed street life to the southern reaches of Bermondsey St. I'm sure that it won't be easy but with Bermondsey Sq now on the horizon Village East should make a significant contribution to the 'hood.

Regards to all

Niall
Thursday 2 March 2006 10.48am
So was it still half price meals then?
Thursday 2 March 2006 10.54am
I just rang up to book for this evening and it was still half price then.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 3 of 9

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions