London SE1 community website

Village East, Bermondsey St

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 5 of 9
Tuesday 7 March 2006 5.45pm
Went for a quick drink with the wife last night - nice little bar and a welcome addition to our little community. Staff were really friendly and gave great service - my wife ordered a cocktail and they sat us down and then brought it over to her. had a look at the menu and it is priced quite high for the area I thought, they are clearly going for the 'fine dining' experience and I felt that the menu was a little over-the-top and a bit bland 90s style to be honest. Great for a romantic one-to-one meal for a very special occasion but dining has moved on from that format and we want to eat accessible food that is reasonably priced, hence the success of the Gastro Pub concept in London.

I'm sure it would be wonderfully cooked and I realise that I've not actually eaten yet but it would be 100 minimum for two people and even us 'Bermondsey professionals' are not going to pop in for a quick bite with a menu like that.
Wednesday 8 March 2006 1.39pm
Surely that's the whole point. The Garrison guys are trying to appeal to a different market which they believe (and I would tend to agree going on the first couple of weeks) exists in SE1. If you're after a "quick bite" you'd go to the Garrison, anything more "special" and you'll go to Village East.
Friday 10 March 2006 4.58pm
TobyV wrote:
Surely that's the whole point. The Garrison guys are trying to appeal to a different market which they believe (and I would tend to agree going on the first couple of weeks) exists in SE1. If you're after a "quick bite" you'd go to the Garrison, anything more "special" and you'll go to Village East.

Can you actually just pop into the Garrison and get a table? I was under the impression that it was a no-hoper without booking.
Anonymous User
Saturday 11 March 2006 9.47am
Checked out village east last night - I liked it very much. Lots of terribly cool looking types in there, not sure if they were having a good time but they certainly looked cool!
Saturday 11 March 2006 7.06pm
Went on Thursday, after going to Shunt.

Great decor. Prices a little high but I guess they've figured out than on the Bermondsey Street pecking order they have taken the top spot. Service was a bit ropey for us but maybe that's just bedding in. We had steaks, all excellent.

Overall I think it's a great addition to the area.
Saturday 11 March 2006 8.21pm
Birdie wrote:
terribly cool looking types
- don't be so shy next time, come over and say Hello - incidentally you looked Haht (the polar opposite of cool!) as in, "Dontcha ya wish ...".
Anonymous User
Sunday 12 March 2006 6.54pm
Paul - I AM cool - I don't need to try to look cool! ;-)
Wednesday 15 March 2006 3.52pm
Oh Birdie, it's all so confusing this modern street-talk - I've only just stopped talking about the Hi-Fi!

Anyhow, have just come from Village East where I've apparently made a new friend. The Australian member of staff is very keen that I be his 'mate' - if he said it once, he said it a dozen times. I'm old enough to be his father (just) and have no desire for a 'mate', particularly when I'm a customer. I tried to spot a manager to point this out to, but failed - the principal reason why we black-listed The Garrison is because one of the waiters mistakenly thought he was our 'mate'.
Wednesday 15 March 2006 4.27pm
Isn't this a little bit draconian? Why is the way you speak so much better than his? Obviously it is completely your choice to take such umbrage over the way in which someone speaks- it just seems a shame to live your life like that!!!
Anonymous User
Wednesday 15 March 2006 4.38pm
Paul - I'm with you on the modern speak, I still call nightclubs discotheques (which they were still called the last time I went to one I think).

Are you really upset about being called mate? I thought you were joking. I sometimes object to being called "Love" but not always, I can't put my finger on why it gives me the creeps sometimes.

Anyway, catch you later, mate

<snigger>
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 5 of 9

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions