London SE1 community website

Village East, Bermondsey St

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 6 of 9
Wednesday 15 March 2006 6.00pm
sarahmc wrote:
Why is the way you speak so much better than his?

I'm not claiming the way I speak is any better or worse than his but there's a time and a place - I never use any kind of term when addressing people, be it Sir/Madam/Oi you - whatever. I'm just a little more easily given umbrage than Birdie who's not overly fond of being called Love. I was in Dunhill in Jermyn Street recently and had to fend off half a dozen 'Sirs' before getting to the rear of the store - that's a little too much! A smile and acknowledgement is enough - Mate is just too 'familiar' and marks a place down for me.
Wednesday 15 March 2006 7.07pm
mate is an example of aussie friendliness and relaxed manner...dont take offence , at least he could speak english which is becoming an issue in most restaurants in london these days..village east sounds a good addition to the area but what is the food actually like??
Wednesday 15 March 2006 8.30pm
What I've had to date has been lovely.
Wednesday 15 March 2006 10.59pm
Paul wrote:
Oh Birdie, it's all so confusing this modern street-talk - I've only just stopped talking about the Hi-Fi!
Anyhow, have just come from Village East where I've apparently made a new friend. The Australian member of staff is very keen that I be his 'mate' - if he said it once, he said it a dozen times. I'm old enough to be his father (just) and have no desire for a 'mate', particularly when I'm a customer. I tried to spot a manager to point this out to, but failed - the principal reason why we black-listed The Garrison is because one of the waiters mistakenly thought he was our 'mate'.

Well I remember reading somewhere that even in Australia there were some people trying to improve the overly "matey" nature of verbal interactions. I can understand it. Certainly we're not in Australia so no reason to assume that you'd insist on calling everyone a term that some might not like...
Wednesday 15 March 2006 11.16pm
We've been there twice and quite disappointed. Twice. Food is greasy, left us feeling utterly uncomfortable for hours. It is disappointing. Setting is great, interior design could have been a bit more unique. Barmen are very friendly however, and make good drinks. I say go to any of the eateries on the street and come here just for drinks.
Thursday 16 March 2006 10.05am
You're a new SE1er Maz?
Thursday 16 March 2006 2.24pm
Paul wrote:
sarahmc wrote:
Why is the way you speak so much better than his?

I'm not claiming the way I speak is any better or worse than his but there's a time and a place - I never use any kind of term when addressing people, be it Sir/Madam/Oi you - whatever. I'm just a little more easily given umbrage than Birdie who's not overly fond of being called Love. I was in Dunhill in Jermyn Street recently and had to fend off half a dozen 'Sirs' before getting to the rear of the store - that's a little too much! A smile and acknowledgement is enough - Mate is just too 'familiar' and marks a place down for me.

Mate is a lot better than prat...you were lucky!
Saturday 18 March 2006 12.00pm
A lot to be said for the place, but not for a lot of people coming out afterwards into the street waiting for taxis. And there is an application in ( last objection date Tuesday 21st. ) for licencing hours extensions, to 1am in the week and 2am Fridays and Saturdays.
Not so good for the locals maybe.
Saturday 18 March 2006 12.07pm
I think it's a great idea (and I'm so local to Village East it's untrue). The street's going to get a late-opening drinking hole at somepoint anyway and I can think of no better place for it to happen. Rather that than some heavy-handed chain like an All Bar One on Bermondsey Street... yuk!
Saturday 18 March 2006 1.21pm
arnie wrote:
A lot to be said for the place, but not for a lot of people coming out afterwards into the street waiting for taxis. And there is an application in ( last objection date Tuesday 21st. ) for licencing hours extensions, to 1am in the week and 2am Fridays and Saturdays.
Not so good for the locals maybe.

Judging by the people that drink late in the Hartley, the custom will mostly *be* locals.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 6 of 9

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions