London SE1 community website

Village East, Bermondsey St

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 7 of 9
Saturday 18 March 2006 7.35pm
I was really impressed with the staff of Village East. A friend and I stopped in for a drink and had to sit at the end of the long table next to a very loud group ... not the usually more genteel clientele that have adopted the place. We had just commented to each other how loud they were when we discovered that the manager (I'm assuming) had politely asked them to keep it down or leave. It was reassuring to say the least.

As a smoker, it's a bit irritating to be stuck in the front bar as the rest is non-smoking, but I support the initiative. Cigarette smoke doesn't interrupt the dining experience and you'll be hard pressed to find another local Bermondsey St venue where smoke wasn't overwhelming.

Hopefully they'll sort out some of the kinks and it will be a great alternative to its neighboring pubs.
Saturday 18 March 2006 10.17pm
On the subject of smoking - we were in Zilli, Shad Thames yesterday evening. The place was busy but the smoking area was deserted (as there was no-one smoking there and also as we weren't fussed for a change we asked to go there). Perhaps it was just a freak evening but surely if c.quarter of a restaurant is empty to cater for a speculative market, then it would make economic sense to have it all non-smoking? I know I'm digressing ...
Friday 24 March 2006 1.42pm
Went to village east last night. Nice design, very good food (I heard head chef used to work at Pont de la Tour and Mirabelle). Service not perfect, still ok. A pity the place closes at 11.
Great addition to the area.
Wednesday 29 March 2006 8.56am
There's a review of Village East on pg 23 of today's Metro.

3 stars (out of 5)
"Just a pretty face.
Shame about the food: Beautiful as it is, dining at Village East is a hit and miss affair, thanks to variable dishes"

Which I think is good news, because I've not been to a restaurant reviewed by the Evening Standard/Metro and agreed with what they had to say. The restaurants I like, they usually dislike. The places I find pretentious in the extreme, they seem to adore.

Still haven't been to Village East yet but hoping to do so in the next couple of weeks.
Wednesday 29 March 2006 9.44am
It was also reviewed on Urban Junkies today - they seem to think its the best thing since sliced bread so expect on influx of young trendy types!
Wednesday 29 March 2006 9.48am
Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 29 March 2006 10.06am
Meanwhile Gridskipper has nicked the (admittedly not very good) photo I took before the place opened, and quotes our very own fabhat:

http://www.gridskipper.com/travel/london/village-east-restaurant-163228.php

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 29 March 2006 11.04am
Even when it exists, they have to invent it.

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 29 March 2006 12.04pm
See also yesterday's Urban Junkies mailout:

http://www.urbanjunkies.com/ln/06/0327.html

[Loose connection - I know one of the people that runs the London version]
Wednesday 29 March 2006 1.33pm
Went to Village East last wednesday and i have to say that i had a fantastic experience ,the food was yamming .
will definatly return .
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 7 of 9

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions