London SE1 community website

New cinema on Borough High Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Tuesday 7 March 2006 10.51am
There's also the cinema planned at Bermondsey Square.

I also live round the corner, will post if I get a chance to have a look.

Where did you see the planning application, misfit? Was it a planning notice at the site?
Tuesday 7 March 2006 12.46pm
The only planning notice on the poles between Costa and Sainsburys is for two advertising boards on the Maya building. No mention of what they will advertise. I was going to spceulate that Maya House is the only likely building for a cinema but that would be idle - the speculation that is, not the building.
Tuesday 7 March 2006 12.46pm
I saw the planning permission in the front window of the building thats being renovated. Next door to Bridgegate House and sainsburys.

My first thought was the same as Q's, that it looks too small to house a cinema, so who knows. Perhaps "Tower cinema and bar" is just the name of the company. I can never really make sense of those forms. Fingers crossed though.
Tuesday 7 March 2006 2.35pm
It would make a very nice change from all those office buildings which have infiltrated that part of Borough High St.
Tuesday 7 March 2006 2.42pm
its not a cinema... its a bar.. which is themed 'cinema'..... will show films etc but mainly used as a bar... they had put a application in for this as there is already too many operaters on that road (blue eyed maid, Bellicis, st. chris. inn).
Tuesday 7 March 2006 2.52pm
Too many bars? Just as well the planners weren't around in the days when the road was lined with inns for the travellers to and from The South [Peckham].
Tuesday 7 March 2006 3.02pm
Thanks for clearing that up hmeah. Do you mean it HAS to have a cinema theme because theres already a large number of standard bars around?
Personally i think it sounds quite cool...those other place (st chris in etc) are in my opinion a bit drab in look and atmosphere.
Tuesday 7 March 2006 4.06pm
Yeah, but not as nice as a proper cinema. That really would be cool.
Tuesday 7 March 2006 4.16pm
St Christopher's and Belushi's are aimed at the student and backpacking crowd with drinks promotions galore. A cool cinema themed bar sounds nice - despite the number of bars, Borough High St/Newington Causeway is not a drinking destination for me, except for the picnic tables at The George in the summer. I welcome any change to pull the rest of the offerings up to City/Bermondsey St standards.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions