London SE1 community website

Bizarre-looking woman plastered in black hair dye and make-up

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Friday 10 March 2006 7.05pm
I thought that the world had moved on since the days of the well to do visiting the inmates of 'Bedlam' on St George's Fields to stare at their condition - seems human nature never changes. It is a bit sad considering that any one of us could sucuumb to a psychotic illness at any time. I would hate to think that people were sneering at me or any one I love if they were ill. Generally we do not sneer at people with cancer or other life-threatening illnesses so why the endless fascination about some poor woman who sounds as though she is desperately unwell? Also if you are going to hold forth about schizophrenia try getting accurate information - have a read of the MIND or SANE websites and see if it dispels the ignorance and prejudice that still surrounds such illnesses.
Saturday 11 March 2006 9.45am
Don't be so sanctimonious. It is a perfectly valid topic for local discussion.

You have no idea what she suffers from, or if she just uses scare tactics to gain more money from begging.

If you want to add something, why don't you get off your high horse, get down there and diagnose her.

Loafer
Anonymous User
Saturday 11 March 2006 9.56am
Oh come on, beverly is entitled to express her opinion too.

Love the google ad below: Special Effects Hair Dye - Manic Panic !
Saturday 11 March 2006 10.01am
I think beverly is right to sound a note of caution - there's a fine line between sharing experiences of someone who seems to have intimidated several of the posters in this thread, and unpleasant sneering.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Saturday 11 March 2006 10.01am
Yes - very funny - they had hair dye removal at the top earlier as well!

I agree that Beverly is entitled to her opinion, as everyone is.

I probably put point badly - it's not her opinion I object to - I actually agree with her - it's her tone that gets my back up.

Regards,

Loafer
Saturday 11 March 2006 10.40am
I am sorry if LOAFER thinks that I am sanctious but it just strikes me as odd that racism and homophobia are (rightly) considered totally unacceptable yet those who are mentally ill or just different are still considered fair game. It was the London Dungeons comment that riled me. Mental Illness seems to be one of the last unmentionables. Hence the hoo-ha about the statue of Winston Churchill in Norwich that has hit the news today. (He is portrayed in a strait jacket to signify that he was at times imprisoned by depressive illness despite managing to function as a world leader. There is general outrage that he should be portrayed as being vulnerable in this way) I can't comment on the merits or otherwise of the statue but I think that it is interesting the fuss it has caused. If this woman is genuinely threatening or intimidating people then surely the police should be called? If she is ill it is a way of getting her the help she needs. If she is 'bad' and not 'mad' then the police can also deal with this accordingly.
Saturday 11 March 2006 10.53am
Fair enough.

I must say, I took the London Dungeon remark as a lighthearted one, but I see your point.

Loafer
Anonymous User
Saturday 11 March 2006 10.54am
Beverly - Loafer clearly says that he agrees with you - as I'm sure do the majority of people who post here.

It's always dangerous to attempt to read tone of voice into a post.

Mental illness is kind of the last taboo - it is hard to understand and subsequently people are scared because they don't understand. It is quite a natural 'defence' to mock what you are scared of or don't understand. I am certain that no one is being malicious here - we are good people.
Sunday 12 March 2006 1.01pm
I started this thread because I was struck by this local woman's extraordinary appearance and eccentric behaviour. To be honest I thought it went without saying that she has some mental health problems, and that this would inform any further comments. OK,perhaps some of the comments that followed were a bit uncalled for, but I don't think her obvious mental illness makes discussion of her outlandish appearance and demeanour out of bounds.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions