London SE1 community website

Seven storey hotel on Bermondsey Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 2 of 11
Jim
Wednesday 15 March 2006 11.58am
maurits wrote:
when I can't bear it anymore I will choose to live in an area where these developments are less likely to happen.
That philosophy is fine for upwardly mobile types who can afford to flit from area to area, keeping ahead of the regeneration curve.

But there are many long-term tenants and residents who can't afford to exercise that sort of choice and are lumbered with the consequences of the planning process for good or ill.
Wednesday 15 March 2006 12.01pm
I'm not saying that nothing should be built on the site.

My main objection is to the size and scale of what is proposed and it's relationship to the surrounding area.
Wednesday 15 March 2006 12.09pm
i think there are good and well thought through sort of regeneration projects and there are knee jerk money spinning greedy developper kind of regeneration projects.
finding the Balance isn't easy, of course you can't make everybody happy at the same time.

in such an historical part of london it is nice to see that heritage and modern developments can coexist next to each other. but you have to take the residents/local businesses into consideration, even if they try to find a way around it. and work with them not against them.
Anonymous User
Wednesday 15 March 2006 12.18pm
Is anyone really surprised at all of the building in the area? SE1 is surely that last part of Zone 1 to grab the attention of the developers. Beats me that it's taken so long.
Wednesday 15 March 2006 12.20pm
I second that Schnake, and in spite of my being in favour of a hotel and the regeneration we see in our are in general, I do think that proper planning procedures are of utmost importance. Everybody needs to be listened to and everybody's point of view counts- that will help finding the Balance you mentioned.
Wednesday 15 March 2006 12.27pm
Who will the hotel be run by? What * rating?
Wednesday 15 March 2006 12.33pm
The size and site are typical for Malmaison- I would't be surprised if they were the one.
Wednesday 15 March 2006 1.45pm
schnake wrote:
i think there are good and well thought through sort of regeneration projects and there are knee jerk money spinning greedy developper kind of regeneration projects..

And the only point I'm making is that in the eyes of a lot of people the flats on B St (from which some of the contributors to this thread seem to be writing) are a prime example of the "knee jerk money spinning.....[etc]".

schnake wrote:
in such an historical part of london it is nice to see that heritage and modern developments can coexist next to each other. but you have to take the residents/local businesses into consideration, even if they try to find a way around it. and work with them not against them.

[I'd argue about the "historical" aspect to a street where a huge propertion of the buildings have only gone up in the last 5 yrs, but that's not the point here.] Yes. I'm not saying there shouldn't be consultation. And it should be done thoroughly and according to the rules. But so many of the "local residents" can only have been there for 5 minutes, so I find it a bit rich complaining.

Anyway, just wait until it opens as a suitably trendy hotel. It'll only boost property prices (and doubtless provide another "destination" bar/restaurant), thus making all the B St residents even happier.

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 15 March 2006 2.00pm
There is another appication out for an apart-hotel in City Walk at the end of Morocco Street - Can't be more than 100 metres away.

Application Type: Full Planning Permission

Planning Case File Number: TP/147-211
Proposal: Conversion and change of use of existing office building (B1 use) to an apart-hotel ((C1 use), apart-hotel comprising ground floor reception and restaurant and including 104 rooms), and the construction of a two storey rooftop addition, and alterations and additions to the existing building.
Ward: Grange
Wednesday 15 March 2006 2.07pm
Ivanhoe

Exactly how may years must you live in an area before it's ok to object to planning applications ?

Is there some sort of test I need to take, or form to fill in that will make me a 'local resident'?

You seem to be making a lot of 'knee-jerk assumptions about where I live and why I moved there.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 2 of 11
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions