London SE1 community website

Seven storey hotel on Bermondsey Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 3 of 11
Wednesday 15 March 2006 2.39pm
No test that I know of Trevor.

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 15 March 2006 2.44pm
All these hotels should generate a number of jobs for locals which must be considered a positive think...
Jim
Wednesday 15 March 2006 2.52pm
Jobs for locals? I don't think so. That's what the developers always say.

But the reality is that the hotel won't be wanting to employ anyone who can afford to live in Bermondsey (even in social or 'affordable') housing.

The jobs will go to Eastern Europeans (nothing 'wrong' with that, just a fact) who live in the outlying suburbs and commute great distances early in the morning and late at night to work unfeasibly long shifts.

These hotels tend to do very little for the local economy at all.
Wednesday 15 March 2006 2.59pm
Many of the residents of Blue Lion Place have already objected and submitted letters to Southwark Council in relation to this development We too are positively against the size and scale of the development. We appreciate that something needs to be done with the vacant space, but feel that a seven story building is too much for the above reasons raised by Trevor G.

One point that everyone has missed so far above is that the plans require the DEMOLITION of an existing four story building ("The Generator Building") that has never been used in the fours years since it's construction.

Glen Howells are the architects and the residents of Blue Lion Place have met with them a number of times to discuss their plans and voice our concerns over light, security and privacy.

Trevor G - feel free to contact me over a private message and I can provide you with more information. I'm not sure exactly where you live, but it's a pity the Council didn't include you in their notifications to local residents.
Wednesday 15 March 2006 3.01pm
Also, the planning application details an "apart-hotel" with 137 bedrooms each containing a kitchen area. It will not be part of a major hotel chain.
Wednesday 15 March 2006 3.12pm
Is that the same Blue Lion place that block off light onto Long Lane?

[motes and logs]

ADT
Wednesday 15 March 2006 3.15pm
How tall is the Bermondsey Antiques Market development going to be now? I seem to recall a 6 or 8 storey block was proposed, but I can't figure out if this was before or after the planning application was adjusted. If it is still 6 or more then a seven storey place nearby would not appear too out of place and would probably fit in reasonably well once the two developments are finished.

I think you're right to object to the height, although the thought of residents of new developments in a developing area objecting to further new developments does amuse (if in fact this is happening). However, there may be good reason for the size (I'd guess that hotels are more viable at certain sizes) and in this case if the planners think a hotel would improve the area they might be minded to allow the extra floors, rather than simply having yet another block of flats. My opinion is that it would improve the area. Hotel residents, whether business travellers or tourists, often have plenty of money to spend, and they will no doubt spend at least some of it locally.

I also think, cynically, that alot of these planning applications add an extra floor or two on with the intention of removing them as a compromise solution when objections are raised. Planning on this scale often seems (from the outside at least) to be a haggling process.
Wednesday 15 March 2006 3.22pm
Blue Lion Place is 50 year old building, set back 40m away from Long Lane - so not sure what you're refering about, Ivanhoe?
Wednesday 15 March 2006 3.37pm
Just checking. Thanks for clarifying. There are so many of these blocks of flats springing up these days that it's hard to keep track.

But I hope you get the point I'm making.

Wednesday 15 March 2006 3.42pm
How would having a hotel in Bermondsey Street affect the Home Zone (previously discussed) proposal?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 3 of 11
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions