London SE1 community website

Seven storey hotel on Bermondsey Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 4 of 11
Wednesday 15 March 2006 4.01pm
Yes, I see your point. One further point I would make, I'm not totally against the development at all - it's merely the number of stories I object to. I'd hope they'd still be able to run a profitable hotel with just five stories. I certainly take everyone's points about hotel guest creating additional revenue in the local area too.
Wednesday 15 March 2006 4.18pm
until everyone starts complaining they cannot get into local bars and eateries for Japanese tourists.....................
Wednesday 15 March 2006 5.18pm
If you may want to object it is worth checking out Southwarks Unitary Development Plan. If they already say they would welcome an increase in hotel beds in the area then grounds are limited. Also if it is conservation area it is worth knowing what the aspirations behind the conservation are. If limiting higher developments is one, then this would be a good reason to oppose a seven storey development.

The point of these overarching documents is to enable balanced development, rather than decide each on a case by case basis. (As in "I don't like it because it is next door but would not mind it if it were around the corner.")

My experience of having a hotel down the road is positive. Unlike office blocks it means that more peole are around on the street in the evenings, and so it feels safer. Plus it is now easy to get a taxi.

That said if you are concerned it is worth objecting, especially about height. Developers have a habit of asking for more. The Riverbank Plaza was completed and open when the developers asked if they could stick a few more storeys on top. By that stage everyone was used to it and so I assume there was less opposition than if they had asked for the extra height in the first place.

If the first application provkes a number of objections one woudl hope it owuld encourage developers to be content with what they get.
Wednesday 15 March 2006 6.31pm
dee dee wrote:
until everyone starts complaining they cannot get into local bars and eateries for Japanese tourists.....................


Apologies, for this is not related to the original thread topic, but why did you single out people from Japan who holiday here?


Is it just lazy stereotyping?
Wednesday 15 March 2006 11.05pm
spencers wrote:
I'm totally with Trevor G on this, and I am astounded that the council has even considered such a proposal in what it supposed to be a conservation area.

If you knew of some of the wink-wink shenanigans that have gone on in the past, couched as "regeneration", you wouldn't be surprised. Its the same everywhere - real estate development means money - money that can be shared - and politicians and bureaucrats are not exactly incorruptible, to put it midly....
Wednesday 15 March 2006 11.12pm
Since the conservation area has been mentioned...

I left the meeting before they got to it, but at tonight's Bermondsey Community Council, members were being consulted on a proposal to extend the Bermondsey Street conservation area. No idea where the proposed extension is, though.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 16 March 2006 8.56am
Jonathan K wrote:
dee dee wrote:
until everyone starts complaining they cannot get into local bars and eateries for Japanese tourists.....................


Apologies, for this is not related to the original thread topic, but why did you single out people from Japan who holiday here?


Is it just lazy stereotyping?

yes- i could have said American but then they all go to the Mayflower in Rotherhithe....................
Thursday 16 March 2006 9.47pm
dee dee wrote:
Jonathan K wrote:
dee dee wrote:
until everyone starts complaining they cannot get into local bars and eateries for Japanese tourists.....................


Apologies, for this is not related to the original thread topic, but why did you single out people from Japan who holiday here?


Is it just lazy stereotyping?

yes- i could have said American but then they all go to the Mayflower in Rotherhithe....................

No - we are in Bermondsey already. I plan on filling the hotel on TBR with all my relatives this summer. Better start househunting..... :-)
Saturday 18 March 2006 1.35am
If it's just the height issue, then I'd agree. Otherwise, if it's going to be something tasteful that fits the conservation area, great. Bermondsey Street is one of the great little gems of London. Some people may think that's all the reason to keep it to themselves - for me, it's all the more reason to share it.

Also, if the hotel is an independent (like everything else on the street) that's one more plot that can't be had by the generic Starbucks type stuff which *wilI* arrive if we don't have other businesses take up space.
Saturday 18 March 2006 6.14am
I'd be glad if there were a decent small hotel around anyway.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 4 of 11
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions