London SE1 community website

Seven storey hotel on Bermondsey Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 5 of 11
Sunday 19 March 2006 10.20am
Here is a seperate planning application affecting the Bermondsey St conservation area that was refused:

http://194.168.41.26/cgi-bin/acolnetcgi.exe?ACTION=UNWRAP&RIPSESSION=%7B%5B%2A%211B3B37163D3D352B2218373C7977747F77666776681C081E01121F00791C2E213B766000142F262B3C7660001429241E23323C2B2D20261C2A343B36302B337F7B6160%21%2A%5D%7D

The link at the bottom of the page for 'Conditions and Reasons' does mention policies affecting conservation areas and the UDP. It also states that the proposal "would adversely impact on the listed public house and the surrounding areas by means of its dominant nature and over-bearing presence"

Trevor
Sunday 19 March 2006 7.41pm
fantastic, I wnt it. You yuppies can't have the place t yurselves.
Harry
ADT
Monday 20 March 2006 10.37am
I passed along Bermondsey street at the weekend, and I counted 6 or 7 stories on the Bermondsey Kitchen building. They do seem quite short floors thought (some of the older buildings on Bermondsey street seemed to be as tall with only 4 stories). I assume the new hotel planned would have similarly short stories - so it wouldn't appear to ridiculously tall.
Tuesday 21 March 2006 12.01am
The building above the Bermondsey Kitchen only goes to floor 5, and as ADT stated, the upper floors are set back from the street front.
I am concerned that a tall 7-storey building would increase the creeping feeling of closeness in B St. It will soon look like the awful section of St Thomas Street near London Bridge station where the wind pollution is really annoying.

Any info on the prospective B St Home Zone and how vehicular access to the hotel is designed?
SEH
Tuesday 21 March 2006 9.15am
Like Chris, I have been to meetings with the architects and developer. The building is actually stepped back from Bermondsey Street so it's only 5 storeys at the front. It will be an aparthotel so there won't be coachloads of tourists (of any nationality!). It also means there won't be as many deliveries as for a "proper" hotel - no restaurant etc.

I support the idea. I've lived in an aparthotel when I was working abroad and it's a great alternative to a hotel. I also think that, based on the developer's other projects in the area, it will be of a much higher standard than a lot of the new buildings in Bermondsey Street. I'm staggered at some of the things that have been approved in what is supposed to be a conservation area.
Tuesday 21 March 2006 9.56am
I also heard that there will be a swimming pool in the hotel ... though I'm guessing it might not be accessible to non-guests?
Tuesday 21 March 2006 10.34am
If a swimming pool is proposed then i'd also like to know whether the plan is to vent chlorine to the outside world or use an alternative pool cleaning method like ultraviolet
Tuesday 21 March 2006 11.07am
SEH

There have been two planning applications mentioned in this thread. TP/147-211 which is the proposal for an Apart hotel on Morocco St/City Walk and TP/11-184 which is the proposal for a hotel on Bermondsey St.

Trevor

SEH wrote:
It will be an aparthotel so there won't be coachloads of tourists (of any nationality!). It also means there won't be as many deliveries as for a "proper" hotel - no restaurant etc.
I support the idea. I've lived in an aparthotel when I was working abroad and it's a great alternative to a hotel. I also think that, based on the developer's other projects in the area, it will be of a much higher standard than a lot of the new buildings in Bermondsey Street. I'm staggered at some of the things that have been approved in what is supposed to be a conservation area.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 21 March 2006 11.29am by trevor g.
Tuesday 21 March 2006 4.24pm
As long as the prices arent sky high, I"d be glad of such a place for my visitors - for example my mother is going to be ninety this year, and I really dont have the room for lots of guests to stay with me, and a good aparthotel would be great.
Tuesday 21 March 2006 5.05pm
Would there be a way to find out which hotel applied for planning permission? (I mean the one in Bermondsey Street)
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 5 of 11
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions