London SE1 community website

Seven storey hotel on Bermondsey Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 8 of 11
Thursday 3 August 2006 2.17pm
well - I hope that the next plan is on a more appropriate scale. Otherwise, I will be raising the same objections again and hope others will too.
Pen
Thursday 3 August 2006 2.35pm
Hi, I'm new to this but I am concerned about the seven story monster apartment block that is being built between Tanners Yard (239 Long Lang) and Bermondsey street. This huge beast will also be built back to Bermondsey Kitchen.

This building will be two stories higher than Tanners Yard and will see the demolishment of the character buildings that were the Bermondsey Antiques Market.

I want to oppose the plans. Can someone tell me what I should write to make sure my objections are taken seriously.

Thanks Pen
Thursday 3 August 2006 2.35pm
In my experience also - the planning department at Southwark Council is a disgrace.

I only succeeded in getting movement from them after tape recording a meeting I had with one of Anne Lippitt's officers (Then Interim Head of Planning). He said one thing to appease me at the meeting, and then blatantly implemented an official response which was at odds to what he had said 'between me and you' was what we were entitled to !
Thursday 3 August 2006 3.13pm
Pen wrote:
Hi, I'm new to this but I am concerned about the seven story monster apartment block that is being built between Tanners Yard (239 Long Lang) and Bermondsey street. This huge beast will also be built back to Bermondsey Kitchen.
I want to oppose the plans. Can someone tell me what I should write to make sure my objections are taken seriously.

Thanks Pen

If you mean the site 241-251 Long Lane ...

Quote ref nos 06-AP-0766 and 06-AP-0765
Case officer is Alistair Talbot
Address is Southwark Council Planning & Regeneration
Council Offices
Ciltern
Portland Street
London SE17 2ES
or email planning.applications@southwark.gov.uk

You need to get your complaints in before 18 August I think
I've just sent mine in!
Pen
Thursday 3 August 2006 4.18pm
Thats' correct.
Will do it today.
What did you say in your complaint?
Thursday 3 August 2006 4.29pm
I will also be opposing - one against the height of the buildings. They should be no higher than the highest existing buildings nearby. Two against the demolition of the existing antiques buildings. For the antiques market to have any chance of staying alive through the regeneration of bermondsey square (or being revived once the building work is complete) these buildings are critical. They could be done up to look really nice and emphasise the history of the area. Perhaps I am somewhat naive but what does being a 'conservation area' mean if such buildings are demolished.

Finally a quick question - why are there two applications that are almost identical. Does one replace the other or is it just meant to be confusing?
Thursday 3 August 2006 4.39pm
I gather that some of those buildings are in fact very old and they plan to take pictures of the features to preserve them for people to see-not quite the same as the real thing and ashas been mentioned the whle point of the consevation area is to preserve its content not demolish it.
Poor Mary Mags will be dwarfed by such a large building. I can't help but worry about safety as well if that is going up on the corner of Bermondsey street and the Bermondsey square development is under way it will be very difficult for road users and pedestrians at that part of Abbey street/Bermondsey street and Long Lane.
Thursday 3 August 2006 4.39pm
Have you seen the application for another hotel at City Link Court (next to Simon the Tanner) in Long Lane for another hotel and an extra floor - That might be worth objecting to 06-AP-1349
Pen
Thursday 3 August 2006 4.43pm
I'm as confused as you are with regard to the applications. The only difference I can see is that one is for full planning and the other is an application for the consent of a conservation area.

I agree with what you are saying.

I also think I will mention about the character of the area being destroyed. Also I live in Tanners Yard and another concern for the myself and the other residents is that the access to the underground carpark would be a shared access with our building. This would pose a problem with security and people gaining access to the communal areas within Tanners Yard.
Thursday 3 August 2006 4.56pm
unido wrote:
Have you seen the application for another hotel at City Link Court (next to Simon the Tanner) in Long Lane for another hotel and an extra floor - That might be worth objecting to 06-AP-1349

that is the one i refered to earlier by city walk which is refitting the exsisting building and adding a floor-part of the city walk complex-JAC said it had now been withdrawn???
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 8 of 11
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions