London SE1 community website

Tooley Street lapdancing club

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 2 of 16
Friday 17 March 2006 10.59am
hhhmmm
I do think Thames link runs right past southwark Cathederal.or hadent you noticed.

you always talk as if making comments is some kind of science and its better to say nothing that risk beeing wrong.

also my original comment had nothing to do with the southwark news artical.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 17 March 2006 11.08am by mickysalt.
Friday 17 March 2006 11.32am
You're quite wrong in that assumption, and the sarcasm is unecessary.

I asked how you've reached the conclusion stated in your first post. It's based on...what?

As I posted in an earlier comment, my understanding is that SC withdrew their objection to Thameslink 2000 some [long] time ago, an impression which is based upon my attending several sessions of the Public Inquiry, though I may have grasped the wrong end of the stick on that one.

Several years ago, after much persuading, Ken did a public relations job of visiting the market area and meeting with CARA to hear their objections to the scheme, but the impression he gave that he would support their campaign was an illusion, and I've questioned his motives ever since. We all risk being wrong, some more frequently than others on this forum - but if we make dogmatic statements we must expect to have our views challenged and be prepared to qualify them, which I suppose is the 'science' of discussion.
Friday 17 March 2006 12.17pm
I admit that my original of the cuff comment isn't the best
I ever made.

but in its badly put way . its expressing the same thing as
the Souhwark news cartoon,but using a specific example.
that may or may not be right. but isn't beyond plausibility.

I also posted t on Wednesday before the southark news comes
out ,and as I said earlier the southark news article is much
better than my comment.
Sunday 19 March 2006 2.37pm
According to Mr Livingstone re the proposal to have a lap-dancing club in Tooley Street, "I don't believe residents want what is basically a strip club. Southwark seems to have forgotten its responsibilities to maintain the quality of life for those who live and work in the area". Can anyone explain how having tour coaches parked illegally with their engines running enhances Tooley Street - local residents have been complaining directly to both Mr Livingstone and Southwark Council for several years. Needless to say, deaf ears and blind eyes have been turned.
Sunday 19 March 2006 6.33pm
I don't see what all the fuss is about the strip club. Surely it should be regarded as Southwark regaining some of it's glorious past!
Southwark was always renowned for it's brothels in mediaeval times. The following link makes interesting reading.
http://www.channel4.com/history/microsites/H/history/guide12/part10.html
Note how in those days the church was happy to take rent from the brothels whereas now they seem to be rather against them.
Sunday 19 March 2006 10.19pm
I was talking with friends earlier, unaware of Alan's Posting. We were all of the same mind and for myself I'm happy for enterprising ladies to exploit a bunch of saddo's who have to get their jollies that way.
Monday 20 March 2006 5.56am
Indeed the idea that Ken is so concerned about the quality of life of Southwark residents is ludicrous...his concerns are so blatantly selective...whatever gives a bit of headline mileage and doesnt cost anything...great. Whatever means rubbing a rich developer up the wrong way or needs a proper solution (the buses in Tooley St)..not so interesting. Ah me is there ANY integrity ANYWHERE any more?
Monday 20 March 2006 2.31pm
There isn't any evidence I can think of that a lap dancing club attracts other similar venues. For example I can't think of any other lap dancing bars close by to Stringfellows, Spearmint Rhino or that one on Hackney Road next to Shoreditch church. They are all pretty much standalone and fairly innoffensive looking from the outside.

The Rembrandt probably won't have scope for putting up lurid flashing 'GIRLS GIRLS GIRLS' signs or other seedy frontage since the building is within the conservation area, so it's most likely that the building will appear more toned down than any other nightclub. There will be as much benefit to locals from this establishment as any other non lap dancing bar might have. It will give extra trade to local cab firms, perhaps encourage more late night eateries (which we can all benefit from) to open for those who want feeding before and after and benefit the local economy by keeping all the new city boys at More London emptying their fat wallets locally rather than in the West End or whatever suburban bolt hole they scuttle in from.

It is also appropriate that this club is within the conservation area, the sex industry has been in the area for years and should be preserved.
Monday 20 March 2006 2.49pm
I suspect that this place will be of as much relevance to most of us as, say, the London Dungeon (imho another useless thing in SE1), but will be less unsightly and conspicuous.

{P.S. How many people are members of the congregation at Southwark Cathedral? The way you hear it reported, you'd think they represented the views of tens of thousands of parishioners. I've never been aware of rivers of people flocking there on Sundays}

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 20 March 2006 3.02pm
Whether you agree with the Dean re. Wicked and Rembrandt or not, the fact is that the cathedral congregation has grown substantially in the past decade - it's often difficult to get a seat at the main Sunday morning service. It's growing, not declining.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 2 of 16

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions