London SE1 community website

Tooley Street lapdancing club

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 3 of 16
Monday 20 March 2006 3.31pm
OK James. No offence meant. I only asked how many regular attendees there are.

Implicit in my question was the expectation that the number would be small and dwindling [based on what my father in law tells me of his experiences of being a priest], but I'm happy to be put right.

So, roughly how many would you say were there for the main service each Sunday?

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 20 March 2006 3.38pm
No offence taken - just wanting to nail a popular misconception.

I understand that the main 11am Eucharist now averages more than 500. There are three other services each Sunday, which would maybe add another couple of hundred between them.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 20 March 2006 3.49pm
Thanks. 500 is a fair-sized congregation, no doubt of it.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 20 March 2006 3.51pm by Ivanhoe.
Monday 20 March 2006 5.08pm
500 in congregation, but 244,000, or more, people in Southwark. Just adding a little to the statistical background.
Monday 20 March 2006 7.23pm
I can't say I'm a regular, but if there were more places that took such a tolerant view as Southwark Cathedral seems to, I'd bet that congregations would be increasing rather than declining in other places too. I've no connection with it at all, but they held a memorial service for a friend of mine a couple of years ago, in very difficult circumstances, and they were just amazing.
Monday 20 March 2006 8.39pm
I've met Colin Slee and members of his 'team' on a number of occasions and found them charming, I have no bone to pick with Southwark Cathedral. What we are talking about here is Mr Livingstone's rather selective choice of 'campaigns' - Jackie R has spelt it out.
Tuesday 21 March 2006 4.55pm
Mr Livingstone describes the proposed lap dancing club as, "something that impinges on the consciousness", in the SE1 News article. Hey Ken, you try having a row of tour coaches outside your window, spewing out noxious fumes and noise while sod all gets done about it and the powers that be ignore every request or approach from residents. Mr Livingstone, you are losing whatever miniscule iota of regard I had for you ... every time you open your mouth you say something else which digs you a deeper hole. You can **** right off with your sanctomonious The Children, The Children, attitude. Stop using children as a pawn, pay attention to on-going and long term issues instead of scoring cheap political points.
Wednesday 22 March 2006 12.06pm
[Quote Colin Slee - from the SE1 news article] "We have a hospital nearby with many Muslim patients who will be offended, so multi-cultural relations will be damaged."
==========================================================

Angels on a pinhead anyone?

Wednesday 22 March 2006 12.25pm
As a practising atheist I found that remark by the Dean of Southwark to be highly offensive and inappropriate. Why bring Muslims in to it? Why not Sikhs, Hindus, Buddhists, agnostics, atheists or how this for novelty as he is meant to represent them, Christians?

Maybe the Dean and Ken want London to be a city where anything that isn't suitable for Muslims and children (and especially Muslim children) should be banned?

I'm glad the Disneyfication of Tooley Street wanted by these two community representatives is going to be halted by this club!

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 22 March 2006 12.26pm by Jonathan K.
Wednesday 22 March 2006 12.49pm
Jerry wrote:
500 in congregation, but 244,000, or more, people in Southwark. Just adding a little to the statistical background.

Your point being...?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 3 of 16

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions