London SE1 community website

Tooley Street lapdancing club

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 9 of 16
Wednesday 28 June 2006 10.42am
Southwark Stakeholders Concerned about Licensing Policy is the name of the coalition making a deputation to tonight's Southwark Council Assembly meeting.

The following groups are involved:

The Mayor of London
The Dean and Chapter of Southwark Cathedral
Unison GLA Branch
Unicorn Theatre for Children
London Dungeon
London Bridge Hospital
HMS Belfast
Tooley Street Tenants & Residents Association
Pool of London Partnership
Beormund Centre
Southwark Heritage Association
Salmon Youth Centre
Southwark Moslem Council
Britain at War Museum
Southwark Asian Organisation
Downside Fisher Youth Club
Snowsfield Primary School
Tower Bridge Primary School
Shad Thames Residents Association

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 28 June 2006 10.45am
Thanks James. Do you know who the overall organiser is and who is financing it?

As I said the contact details provided on their posters do not relate to a reachable email address.
Wednesday 28 June 2006 12.10pm
Hmmmmmmm
I say live and let live, just exercise some discretion.

Reminds me of when I lived close to a Spearmint Rhino. I didn't particularly object to their trade as they were discreet, but (path obstructions being my bugbear) resented it when they extended their red carpet and railing way out onto the public pavement (presumably for the gents arriving who were too rich to walk on plebby cement).

I complained to the council with others and the carpet had to, er shrink in size quite considerably. I swear the bouncers looked quite grumpy afterwards, bless....
Wednesday 28 June 2006 12.43pm
I'm not against the club either.

What concerns me most is the GLA and Ken Livingstone's involvement in the affair. The Mayor's office is for coordination of London-wide strategic plans, but Ken is getting invloved in a very local issue spending public money and the time of his officers to show his pc credentials. He is using his office's clout to steam-roller the established localised democratic method of dealing with such issues.
Thursday 29 June 2006 11.09am
Yes I've wondered about the Mayor Office's involvement too ... doesn't make sense to me.
I find smelly fried chicked shops taking over Borough High Street more offensive but I don't see him poking his nose in the catering business.
Thursday 29 June 2006 10.33pm
The picture of the 8 earnest people outside on the news section is funny. I wonder why the biggest banner is from an Islamic group?

Islamic Forum Europe , Old Kent Road Mosque & Islamic Centre, Peckham Islamic Centre, Southwark Muslim Council... why do Muslims make the biggest bloc in this campaign? How does a bar on Tooley Street affect Muslims in Peckham and on the Old Kent Road anyway? Answers please!
Friday 30 June 2006 4.02pm
Well presumably, they're the interest group who care the most, so fair play to them. Or maybe Southwark Cathedral knows that, given the history of the church in the area, it might be a leeeeetle bit ironic to oppose the club too strongly, and want to hand on the baton!!!!!
Friday 30 June 2006 5.36pm
easyrecall wrote:
Well presumably, they're the interest group who care the most, so fair play to them. Or maybe Southwark Cathedral knows that, given the history of the church in the area, it might be a leeeeetle bit ironic to oppose the club too strongly, and want to hand on the baton!!!!!

I find any religion telling people people who don't subscribe to their doctine how to live their life obnoxious.

I really didn't care either way whether this bar opens or not, but now think good luck to it especially if it winds up these religious types!
Monday 3 July 2006 11.52am
Hear, hear Jonathan.

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 3 July 2006 1.33pm
This strikes me as a reasonable objection to the club, and a valid point to debate:

A representative of the London Bridge Hospital told the meeting: "Our hospital has 450 staff of which 85 per cent are women. The concern our staff and especially our patients have is that when previously a similar club opened close to the hospital, we experienced literature of nudity on our forecourt when we came in the morning. On camera, people urinating on our premises in the evening. On camera, people having sex on our forecourt in the evening. This is the type of environment we do not want to come into in the morning or any other time of day."

This frightens the hell out of me:

Very Rev Colin Slee, the dean of Southwark
" We have a hospital nearby with many Muslim patients who will be offended, so multi-cultural relations will be damaged.”

Thereby implying that you are damaging multi-cultural relations (ergo indulging in racism???) if you allow the club to open?

How convenient that christian values are also served by this.

And yet the backlash for any perceived heavy-handed prurience will lie squarely at the foot of the muslim community for their conservative values - the christians are liberal and modern, not enforcing their own belief system on others, merely trying to protect the vunerable, poorly muslim children attending hospital.
Genius!

Both groups seem offended by what happens behind closed doors, regardless of the discretion exercised.
Aren't they offended by the free association of practicing homosexuals? Rip down that rainbow flag now, before you lose your licence……..
Current: 9 of 16

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions