London SE1 community website

French Market in Lower Marsh

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Friday 4 August 2006 7.50am
Is the market in Lower Marsh dying? There seem to be fewer and fewer stalls these days.
Friday 4 August 2006 12.43pm
Sadly, I think you are right. Seems a shame.

Would you like to go with me?
Where?
Wherever I'm going
Are you *really* asking?
Is that your *real* answer?
Friday 4 August 2006 12.57pm
I never see anyone buying anything though so what can you do?! At least in the Marsh's case the spirit lives on in the eccentric mix of independent shops...
Friday 4 August 2006 1.15pm
I get my veg there on occasion - usually when I am lunching at the very excellent Maries (hmmm, not sure if I have spelled that correctly, doesn't look right). So they are definitely not going to survive on my 5 oranges and a bag of potatoes order once a week. Agreed, yes, it is looking up rightly with the new (and old) shops.

Where?
Wherever I'm going
Are you *really* asking?
Friday 4 August 2006 1.48pm
red_bus wrote:
... usually when I am lunching at the very excellent Maries (hmmm, not sure if I have spelled that correctly, doesn't look right).

MarshRuby??? - haven't tried it yet, but heard excellent reports.
Friday 4 August 2006 4.13pm
LR, Marie's is the greasy spoon/Thai cafe opposite the Ian Allan bookshop. It often gets mentioned in newspaper features on the best fry-up etc.

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/restaurants/info/550/maries-cafe

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 4 August 2006 5.20pm
Thank you again James for coming to my assistance. Marie's is far and away my favourite place for a lazy lunch. I will in fact be there tomorrow - just look for the lean, handsome cyclist :o)

I hesitated to post such an encomium here* in case Marie's becomes too popular. But it is too great a place to keep quiet.

* just one post on this site will do wonders for the popularity of anything or anyplace. For example, just look at how it made cider (bizarrely) a more popular drink in se1 (scratches head in amazement).

Where?
Wherever I'm going
Are you *really* asking?
Friday 4 August 2006 5.55pm
James Hatts wrote:
LR, Marie's is the greasy spoon/Thai cafe opposite the Ian Allan bookshop. It often gets mentioned in newspaper features on the best fry-up etc.
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/restaurants/info/550/maries-cafe

Ahem! Being a loyal follower of this site, that is where I looked first of all. But as of this lunchtime, Marie's did not have a listing, which given the reputation for infallibility of London-se1.co.uk made me wonder whether they had closed and MarshRuby had taken their place!

As the Google cache shows - you only added that entry somewhat recently!!!

http://72.14.221.104/search?q=cache:VG-aaEn5QLkJ:www.london-se1.co.uk/restaurants/starting-with/m+%22Lower+Marsh%22+Marie+site:http://www.london-se1.co.uk&hl=en&gl=uk&ct=clnk&cd=3
Friday 4 August 2006 6.35pm
Guilty as charged! After red bus mentioned Marie's Cafe I went to look up the entry, was surprised to find that it was missing, so added it.

MarshRuby is further along and on the other side of the street.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Saturday 5 August 2006 8.05pm
And it was quite busy this lunch time - despite the fact that one end of the road was sealed off.

Should it not be Maries as opposed to Marie's? I know that the latter is formally correct, but the former is painted on the front of the caff.

Where?
Wherever I'm going
Are you *really* asking?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions