London SE1 community website

Muggings on Monday night....

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  PreviousFirst...3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next
Current: 10 of 13
Wednesday 19 April 2006 12.07pm
Hi

in six years in the areaa, I have had dealings with the police three times, at two different stations.

I handed in counterfeit coins given to me as change at Borough station, and on another occasion I brought a drunk with a head injury to the station (along with two strangers who stopped to help me help him - who says London isn't friendly?).
I made a statement as part of a murder investigation (I was a witness, not suspect!).

In each instance I found the police to be efficent, polite and genial.
In the case of the drunk, they were gentle and even took care of his bike for him. They were thankful to me and the others who helped and I absolutely felt they cared.

I appreciate that in each of these circumstances, I was not left waiting for intervention, which must be the most upsetting feelling. We expect quick response times to emergencies (be it fire, police or ambulance) but sadly that can't always happen, and I expect there will always be a "lottery" aspect to when you make your call versus the other person in need.

But I do think Southwark police are being unfairly vilified here, and the procedure and notetaking that seems to irritate in the heat of the moment, has its use in courtrooms, and in the records.

stay safe, most people are lovely.
Wednesday 19 April 2006 5.19pm
just a quick one - i too am apalled by what hapened to Malla and his girlfriend and wish you both all the best and all that. On the visable police thing by all accounts it really doesn't help. One of my best pals is pretty senior in the Met police and has told me that high visability policing usually takes police away from more targeted activity which tends to lead to route causes of crime being stopped.

It drives him mad that money is being spent on police support officers who have no powers and are simply there to make the public and in particular tourists feel safer from terrorist activity. Stats prove that having a policeman in a shiney jacket walk down your street does bugger all - people just wait for them to go and then come out and do bad things.

Is there any plan for a community meeting to discuss all of this - i love SE1, live on Bermondsey Street and worry about everyone (including my girlfriend)!

It might be that everyone has to to take it in turns to walk round the area every couple of weeks as other areas of London have done. Also lighting in certain streets around our neighbourhood sucks.

Also - worth thinking about breaking down a them and us mentality - my business partner is currently taking part in a scheme wherby he has got to meet the kids who assulted/mugged him in Brixton. He has met with them and their parents and is even getting one of them to work at our place in a kind of community service type way. It's really helped him as a victim to overcome his fear of it happening again. It's also giving the kids a chance to see the reality of what they did. By all accounts all parties cried a lot during their first meeting but have since started to move on.

Worth a thought when the time is right - for now they should be prosecuted though none the less then work out what can be done to stop this being their life for ever.
Thursday 20 April 2006 12.04am
Agree with many of the things here.. see post earlier in the thread. However, just wanted to comment on the worry-about-girlfriend comments. I as much about my male friends and boy friend getting into trouble with muggers etc. I think that it is statistically more likely that men get mugged that women, and in my experience this seems to be true.

From a personal point of view, I always feel more comfortable walking home in my trainers and parker rather than my suit and heals - and with a rucksack rather than a handbag, because it makes me feel less of a target and easier to get away should anything happen. Not suggesting that people should adjust their mode of dress in the case of this happening in the area - just happens to be what makes me feel that tiny bit safer.
Thursday 20 April 2006 9.21am
Lazyi is right, if I'm ever (unlikely but still) looking a bit "dressy" I start looking over my shoulder. Although in the E&C roundabout area it feels rather safe because there's so much going on and so many people around. And watch out for the elimination of the underpasses this summer...we're going pedestrian
overground! But a short strip of unlit quiet street...and one can feel vulnerable. Keep your shabby old parka in your briefcase I suppose is the answer!
Thursday 20 April 2006 12.53pm
Please if you're being mugged - let them have the bag. The most precious thing you have is your life. It is the only thing that is irreplacable. If you're worried about losing money/phones etc, get them insured. It's then the insurance company's problem. But you can not get your life back, so don't fight these violent people.

Advice I received on a self-defence course was: Throw your bag/phone in one direction, and run in the other - as fast as you can, ideally towards a shop/restaurant etc. Run in, get them to lock the door & phone the police. The thieves should be distracted by the bag and not come after you.

Please take care of your life. It is more important and valuable than any possession.
Thursday 20 April 2006 4.09pm
I did contact the police who took details but have since received a letter from them to say they found nothing and the case is closed. I hope you & your girlfriend are recovering both physically and mentally from the ordeal as it's a horrific thing to happen.
Wednesday 28 June 2006 4.37pm
At the last Borough and Bankside Community Council meeting on 21 June, it was announced that the Safer Neighbourhood Police teams in the Cathedral and Chaucer ward are starting up Ward Panels. The idea is that concerned residents and the Safer Neighbourhood Police teams can get together and discuss local policing and issues affecting the local residents. This will help the police decide where to direct their resource, and the police will give feedback to the ward panels.
Thursday 29 June 2006 11.00pm
It's terribly dispiriting and awful to hear about this kind of thing. but as earlier correspondents have said, it can happen anywhere. a friend of mine was mugged in The Cut late at night a few months ago. the best thing is not to look even remotely affluent and never to have anything of value about your person.
Friday 30 June 2006 11.54am
mimi - in my opinion that's terrible advice.
it just enforces the opinion of the mugger that they can get away with it, that they can attack people, take their things and get away.

With the current state of policing, where nothing is likely to come of if, the criminal will get away, and probably be more inclined to do it again.

I say, shout and scream, and kick and punch, but don't let go of the bag, stare at the face, try and remember them, get a good look, try and rip off a mask (if they're wearing one), try and inflict damage, so the person will think twice next time.

at the end of the day, it's you personal choice in how you deal with such things.
Anonymous User
Friday 30 June 2006 12.09pm
Do you hold on to the bag long enough for them to pull a knife on you?

I'm with Mimi totally on this one - the bag and it's contents can be replaced.
Pages:  PreviousFirst...3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next
Current: 10 of 13

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions