London SE1 community website

Muggings on Monday night....

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  PreviousFirst...3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next
Current: 11 of 13
Friday 30 June 2006 11.29am
I'm definitely with Mimi too. I'd be horrified at the thought of my sisters tackling a mugger - give it up and keep yourself safe is a very good rule.
Friday 30 June 2006 12.24pm
ok, well clearly here, there is a gender issue, if the mugger is a bloke, and the muggee is a woman, then it's likely that the first advice should be taken, ie drop or throw the bag and run (even though it enforces the idea in the mugger that it's easy to do, and get away with), we wouldn't want our women to get hurt now would we...

i'm a bloke, and i don't think i'd get mugged, and if i were to, then hopefully i'd try and not give in so easily. But i don't carry a handbag, so the chances of someone mugging me are less, it's not so easy to get a blokes wallet.

yes, Birdie, if the mugger pulls a knife, then the mugging dynamic changes, and not being injured by the knife would become a priority.
Anonymous User
Friday 30 June 2006 12.55pm
Can you afford to hope that the mugger *doesn't* have a knife?

I still say run.
Friday 30 June 2006 1.33pm
depends how fast you can run, how loud you can shout, how good your insurance is...
Anonymous User
Friday 30 June 2006 1.34pm
You're just being silly now.
Friday 30 June 2006 1.35pm
devils advocate - sorry, just making a point.
i don't think we should be encouraging muggers, by making it easy for them.
Anonymous User
Friday 30 June 2006 1.41pm
We'll have to agree to differ JR. I couldn't care much less about mine or anyone elses handbag / wallet / ipod when it is in comparison to a life.

I understand your values but sadly don't think an armed mugger will.

Why take the chance?
Friday 30 June 2006 1.42pm
I was always told to shout out "fire" rather than "help" as the former is more likely to get peoples attention ... sadly
Friday 30 June 2006 1.43pm
I have always told my kids to give possessions up....unfortunately you never know until it happens to you and you dont take your own advice!
Friday 30 June 2006 1.47pm
i'm not suggesting that one should keep hold of possesions when you could get killed, that's just silly, i'm only talking about being mugged (which hopefully isn't likely to get you killed, just slightly injured).

obviously if someone looks like they're going to stab you with a 9" knife several times in vulnerable areas, then you don't hang around, but otherwise, i wouldn't give in too easily.

i should add that i've never been mugged, so i don't know how i would react in the situation, and hopefully never will, but if i get mugged in the future, and i remember, i'll report back on what i did, and if it had any effect.
Pages:  PreviousFirst...3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next
Current: 11 of 13

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions