London SE1 community website

Muggings on Monday night....

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 2 of 13
Thursday 23 March 2006 1.40pm
I am appalled by this incident - I have lived here for about 10 years and have had dealings with hundreds of students who have also lived in the area over that time. Apart from the well documented incidents on the south bank a while back I can honestly say that this is the nastiest incident I have heard of (no consolation to your girlfriend) yes muggings do happen, but she took very sensible precautions to avoid being a victim and it was no fault of her own that these horrible people picked on her. I sincerely hope that she fully recovers and regains her confidence and can learn to live happily in SE1.
Thursday 23 March 2006 2.32pm
Cut off their 'bits' I say. We were on the receiving end of a spate of attacks by young teenagers in Potters Field Park a couple of years ago - I used to be fairly active in the Local Community, who can go to hell now if that's the way their children behave. Those children become boorish adults. I don't walk locally unless it's full daylight and outside of term-time I'm particularly wary.

I can relate to how Malla's Mrs perhaps feels - hope she comes to terms with it soon. Best thoughts.
Thursday 23 March 2006 3.23pm
Not a mugging, but another example of arrogant, boorish behaviour - this time by some of the roller bladers who love to use the area between the More London development and City Hall as their playground. I was with a couple of friends, braving the chill to look at the 'earth from the air' images, and several times as we lingered over one or two of the photos or wandered around them, we were 'cut up' by bladers as they wound up their speed toward the raised concrete blocks in order to jump or slide along them. In addition to one other minor incident a few years ago, this was only the second time I have felt remotely intimidated since moving to SE1. The bladers and boarders generally behave as if they want this area as their exclusive domain and I'm trying hard not to begrudge their fun [maybe I'm secretly envious], but I loathe the intrusive scraping and crashing noises they generate.

I hope it doesn't continue into the warmer months when visitors to the area may want to sit on the blocks in relative peace or there could be an interesting conflict of interests!
Jac
Thursday 23 March 2006 3.23pm
Theres a piece in southwark news on these muggings. Amazingly it concludes "As the news went to press it was unclear whether any charges were going to be brought againest them"

Why?
Thursday 23 March 2006 3.34pm
Like Schnake said, the Walworth Road police are pretty good. My wife was hit in the back by a teenage girl on a bus last year, and they were on the scence quickly, looked for the girl (no luck - must have got off the bus shortly afterwards) and then took Mrs 516 to work (in Fulham!) all in the space of 45 mins. Another time, I woke up at 4am to find Burglar Bill climbing in the window. I yelled, he took off, the police were there within 10 mins and taking fingerprints within 30 mins.

I hope your girlfriend recovers soon and is happier about living in SE1 again before too long.
Thursday 23 March 2006 3.46pm
I hate to have a negative report about the police, because the individuals we dealt with were universally excellent and understanding.

However - it actually took the police 3.5hrs to get to us.

I was getting extremely annoyed and I phoned 4 separate times to ask what was going on. In the end I decided to take my girlfriend to the hospital (we had said initially that we didn't need an ambulance as she was walking and talking and there were no broken bones or bleeding areas). The ambulance was there withing 10 minutes and the police ended up meeting us at the hospital. Because of this delay, the police photographer didn't come until the next morning, when some of the initial damage and part of the shoe print (which could be valuable evidence) was cleared up a little.

Again, I must stress that the detective and constable were great, when they finally talked with us.

Thanks again for all your words of support.
Thursday 23 March 2006 3.49pm
Jac wrote:
Theres a piece in southwark news on these muggings. Amazingly it concludes "As the news went to press it was unclear whether any charges were going to be brought againest them"
Why?

It would be a public service for the organizers of this forum to follow the case, citing the high level of interest. SE1 residents need these offenders to be punished and humiliated as a deterrent. I would be happy to participate in a follow-up if someone more knowledgeable could put some structure on it. One's confidence in the police is so low (everyone has their own stories) that just to ring Walworth Station seems inadequate.
Thursday 23 March 2006 4.30pm
First of all let me say how discussed and upset I was reading this. I hope that both of you get over this quickly and send my love and support to you both.

Good idea Phoney post the info all over the area.!!

When you hear when the court case is you should tell us on this Forum and as many of us as possible should try and go to show our support and community spirit to you both and also show the ba....rds that they will not be able to hang around OUR streets causing misery and mayhem!!
Thursday 23 March 2006 7.06pm
Absolutely.

You tell us when, and we'll be there.

Regards,

Loafer
Thursday 23 March 2006 7.07pm
Good thinking to keep the Forum alerted to any developments, publicity etc., this concerns all of us. And naturally we will show our faces and raise our voices wherever it will hit home that we are disgusted by this sort of behaviour and resent it in our midst.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 2 of 13

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions