London SE1 community website

Muggings on Monday night....

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 4 of 13
Tuesday 28 March 2006 3.40pm
Slightly linked - my entry on the Tooley Street Red Route today re police attitudes.
Tuesday 28 March 2006 4.30pm
I originally wasn't going to post this but since there appears to be a pattern of violent events in the area over the past few weeks, perhaps the information will reach the police and lead to increased patrols in the area....

I was on a 453 bus at around 10.30pm on Thursday night. At the Leroy St/Mandela Way bus stop by the Bricklayers Arms, the rear doors were not working properly and the driver had to open/close the doors a couple of times to get them fully open.

One group took exception to this and were shouting at the driver and banging on the doors at the back of the bus. One of them, a late twenties/early thirties male of north african/middle eastern appearance got off the bus, ran up to the front doors, jumped on and started shouting at the driver that the "party was over" and "you can not do that" while punching the screen of the driver's cabin. He must have punched the screen about 6 times before jumping off again. He didn't look drunk - looked more spaced out with staring eyes.

No damage to the bus or the driver who drove on as if it was a normal night on the 453. But it was certainly the first time in 5 years that I've seen violence on the buses in the area.
Tuesday 28 March 2006 8.00pm
Don't you think that we now need to have a community meeting with the Police.

These thugs show no shame or remorse whom they hit. I'm getting more and more worried that it could end up even worse.
I think what happened to Malla's girlfriend is despicable and this sort of behaviour needs to be brought to a halt sooner rather than later.
Tuesday 28 March 2006 9.06pm
Where do we start then?? I would be interested in getting a group together to cut down on crime in SE1
Tuesday 28 March 2006 9.25pm
Maybe here or here ?

There are apparently over 300 neighbourhood watch schemes in the area already...
Wednesday 29 March 2006 12.24pm
Hi all,

Thanks again for the words of support that have been pouring in.

I've taken my girlfriend to Devon to see her parents for a few days (and to get out of London and recuperate), so I didn't have the chance to comment on some of the questions here.

With regards to what is happening with the supposed perpetrators, I have just spoken with the police and they have all denied everything and given the "no comment" crap in presence of their solicitors.

As far as I can tell they have all been bailed pending prosecution. The DC in charge of the case is phoning later to give me further details.

Obviously, I am desperate to see this scum brought to justice (though my hopes aren't high that the punishment will fit the crime). However, my girlfriend is now understandably worried that the trial might be a trauma in itself. We will have to wait and see.

AnnaL - I assume from your username that you are female? Your incident sounds horrendous and not dissimilar to what happened to us just a week or two later.

I assume also that you reported this to the police? Have they given you any further updates? It's not inconceivable that these people are the same ones.
Tuesday 4 April 2006 5.05pm
Blimey...

It's been a while since I've been on the forum, just been an occasional lurker.

I was really saddened and angered to hear about these attacks and wanted to give my regards to you and your girlfriend Malla.

I've lived in the area for a total of five years now and in that time have had three occasions where I've felt threatened. One unfounded, and one where I was chased down the street (luckily managing to outrun the people who have chased me). The police were pretty quick to respond but it made me feel angry about feeling unsafe in the area where I have previously felt safe.

I work alot at night, and come home late, and recently confess to feeling pretty fearful about dodgy people hanging around, making a nuisance of themselves, or suddenly appearing from nowhere.
On Sunday night, there were a group of lads hanging round the entrance to Devon Mansions, just watching the comings and goings, and having 'an air' about them. Though they didn't do anything, they tampered with the doors, so much so that we couldn't get in last night.

I'm fed up with what seems to be kids threatening what is otherwise a great area, and being so destructive, and hurting people. I'm up for doing something. The community, council and police need to get together. This has gotta stop.
Tuesday 4 April 2006 5.27pm
Before anyone gets too hot and bothered, maybe this is just the way it is with inner city life. The divide between the 'haves' and the 'have nots' is wider in this are than it has ever been and that brings tensions. Maybe we should also consider that the perps might get their jollies out of reading this thread.

The local condition on Bermondsey St is far far better than it was 10+ years ago. These days it is rare to walk on Bermondsey St unaccompanied. The street lighting is far far better than it was 10+ years ago. The level of crime in the area seems, from my perspective, to have fallen significantly.

If anyone asked me about Bermondsey these days I'd say that it was as good or as bad as most other parts of London. Certainly far better than some.

But bad things can still happen and anyone living in the inner city with their guard down is asking for trouble.

Regards.

Niall
Tuesday 4 April 2006 6.01pm
Niall Connolly wrote:
Before anyone gets too hot and bothered, maybe this is just the way it is with inner city life. The divide between the 'haves' and the 'have nots' is wider in this are than it has ever been and that brings tensions.
But bad things can still happen and anyone living in the inner city with their guard down is asking for trouble.

Regards.

Niall

Is this a parody?
Blame the woman who is assaulted by a pack of cowards ? "It's society's fault" is the "root cause" of the devilish behaviour. There is no reason other than low expectation and lack of example why young men shouldn't protect lone women not threaten them.
Tuesday 4 April 2006 6.26pm
Markadams99

I could have said something about the legions that "walk on by on the other side". I've been on the receiving end of their disinterest and still have the injury to prove it. Society would be a far better place if people put their actions where their mouths were.

And no, this isn't a parody.

Regards

Niall
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 4 of 13

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions