London SE1 community website

Muggings on Monday night....

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 6 of 13
Wednesday 12 April 2006 12.51am
Even though community support officers lack certain powers their presence has an positive effect. They provide reassurance to the community and deter criminals, even though this may not be to the extent the community desires. Savvy criminals are bound to know their trade and certainly what satisfies police. Nevertheless, the old bills response to community officers concerns no doubt follows trained protocol - better to have these trained community eyes patrolling our streets than none at all.
Wednesday 12 April 2006 11.16am
I'm sorry that Jammy thought a lot of our previous comments on this thread were obvious or trivial or whatever it was he said, as though he felt we none of us takes this matter too seriously. It is indeed very VERY serious, and apart from writing here I wonder what we can really do to knock this ever rising phenomenon on the head. We can educate our children and grandchildren, but the disaffected youths who perpetrate this sort of crime are generally not reading what we write here. I wish I knew more about how much the police or others are visiting schools and talking to the kids.
Jac
Wednesday 12 April 2006 7.48pm
Jackie wrote: I wish I knew more about how much the police or others are visiting schools and talking to the kids.

There is a police officer assigned to every secondary school in southwark and in some schools they even have an office. But there is very little funding for primary school visits. At my kids school the PC who covers the school knew the kids because of the aftermath of the July bombings he had come to school whilst controled explosions were carried out on a bus at the stand outside the school. They also put on an excelent special day for over two thousands primary school kids covering things like safety traveling calling an ambulance, fire safety, stranger danger etc but this was done with very little funding and many of those involved gave their time free of charge. One comment on that day he made to me is that he wished there was more police time/envolvement at primary level as "by the time they get to secondary school it's too late they hate us!"
Thursday 13 April 2006 12.51am
Well there you go....get 'em while they're young. This is really an area where we could be influential. I think I'll talk to our councillors after the elections and see what can be done. This is important enough for all of us to be concerned.
Thursday 13 April 2006 11.53am
What worked in New York ? A heavy police footprint, zero tolerance, real consequences.The mantra "lack of funding" does not apply. There is massive funding for the ludicrous and illiberal social engineering aspects of policing and the Crown Prosecution Service. Police should be walking around, cycling around, talking in a friendly way to residents and empowered to take non-bureaucratic, on-the-spot action aagainst offenders. It's not complicated or expensive. It's going with the grain of human nature. Oh also a Mayor who shares these values. A comparison of Livingstone and Giuliani sums up London's disease.

A common thread in this thread is the sense of powerlessness of the citizen in British political life.
Thursday 13 April 2006 4.12pm
Absolutely !!! Brilliantly put!! Couldn't have put it better myself.
Thursday 13 April 2006 10.48pm
Before we get carried away by the wonders of the police service in New York, it's worth bearing in mind that their police cost 2.3 billion dollars a year more than ours (ie an extra 450 on every council tax bill). The extra money means double the number of uniformed officers. If you want police on every street corner your going to have to pay for it.
Friday 14 April 2006 2.13am
You could increase police presence without cost simply by puting more of them on the street instead of behind desks and in vans in groups of 4 and 5, which is utterly useless for community policing and presense.

It seems there are a lot of them on the payroll but far too few doing actual work.
Friday 14 April 2006 2.25am
I've come to the opinion that Weston Street is a bad route after dark (and maybe also in the day). Bermondsey Street seems a much better option - more foot and vehicle traffic, and the evening businesses (i.e. bars/restaurants) help too.
Friday 14 April 2006 10.38am
Osamede wrote:
You could increase police presence without cost simply by puting more of them on the street instead of behind desks and in vans in groups of 4 and 5, which is utterly useless for community policing and presense.
It seems there are a lot of them on the payroll but far too few doing actual work.

Wonderful idea - remove all the Detectives from the homicide units, anti-terror units, paedophile units, fraud units, rape units, drugs units, hi-tech crime units, armed crime units, etc., etc. from their detective work and put them back in uniform to walk the streets.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 6 of 13

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions