London SE1 community website

Muggings on Monday night....

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 7 of 13
Friday 14 April 2006 10.08am
uh, who said anything about "detectives" Jonathan K? (Other than you?) Try paying closer attention to the comments you read.
Friday 14 April 2006 10.11am
Nannieslag: could you please tell me from where you sourced your provocative figures? Thanks.

"Before we get carried away by the wonders of the police service in New York, it's worth bearing in mind that their police cost 2.3 billion dollars a year more than ours (ie an extra 450 on every council tax bill). The extra money means double the number of uniformed officers. If you want police on every street corner your going to have to pay for it."
Friday 14 April 2006 11.18pm
vicd wrote:
uh, who said anything about "detectives" Jonathan K? (Other than you?) Try paying closer attention to the comments you read.

Yes, I read it right thanks. Osamede talked about police - and having worked for the Met the only police I know of who mainly sit at desks are the CID.
Saturday 15 April 2006 12.00am
So you worked for the police ... that figures - you're inability to see the scale of the problem says it all. It is utterly bleeding obvious that we need a much more visible police presence on our streets. I saw two transport police on a walkabout in Tooley Street the other day. They totally sympathised with me about the problem, unfortunately not their domain. They agreed that having police expect you to join them in their car, looking for the mugger long after he'd disappeared was completely stupid.

I reported local thieves to the police a couple of years back. I had to go to the station and watch an officer write a "report" from what I said. It was excruciating watching his pathetic slowness, writing in childish handwriting (heaven forbid he might actually just type it into a computer) and constantly crossing lines out and starting again. Hopeless. A huge waste of my time. I was told I might be called upon as a witness at one of the borstal boys' trials. Needless to say I never heard a dickeybird about it afterwards.

I suppose you get the police you deserve.
Saturday 15 April 2006 12.33am
Jonathan K wrote:
having worked for the Met the only police I know of who mainly sit at desks are the CID.

Well, where ever they are - it aint on the street. I have lived in Green Walk for a 9 months now and I have never seen a cop doing beat work anywhere in the area from here to London bridge. I've seen them in cars passing by once or twice, but that is about it.

So if I have never seen a cop on the street then by implication I have no idea who my local cop is - and he sure isn't hearing from me about things he should be hearing about - if he exists. Ditto in the previoous year when I lived near Sheperds Bush. Never saw a police man who wasn't passing by in a van or directign traffic away from a road block.

So whatever we are paying taxes for police for - I dont know, wether they are desks, stading around the police station or eating donuts in van - but as far as I am concerned I'm not seeing any of my money on the street. Which is no way to police any community.

And London is a collection of communities, so you are not going to have any effect on crime if you are not executing the basics of community policing.
Saturday 15 April 2006 12.53am
Exactly.
Saturday 15 April 2006 9.11am
I mostly see police near government buildings, and sometimes in the west end. Seeing police on the beat around Elephant isn't too unusual, but other than that they rarely seem to be visible.
Saturday 15 April 2006 9.21am
6 months ago when I was a victim of crime for the 3rd time in one year I suggested (on this forum) that we have a meeting with the police to air our concerns etc. No-one was interested so I had a meeting by myself with 2 policemen assigned to this area. They were really nice but couldn't really do anything about it e.g more police, better lighting etc unless there were more people in this area to complain. I presumed there was nothing I could do about it as I was by myself.
Now, maybe WE can.

JonathanK if you worked for them do you still have contacts? Maybe, this time, since you are all in agreement that there is not enough police presence on the streets we could have a meeting with the police together.

Or is it just a moaning forum but in fact no-one is really that concerned?
Saturday 15 April 2006 9.22am
Police have become glorified bouncers for "VIP" establishments.
Saturday 15 April 2006 9.26am
speakloud - I have been thinking of doing exactly that - was advised to speak to the "head of community policing" or something at the police station on borough hi st. Would definitely be interested in having some kind of joint voice / meeting(s) on this. Let's try to get a few people from this board to join us and do something SOON!
Current: 7 of 13

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions