London SE1 community website

Muggings on Monday night....

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 9 of 13
Saturday 15 April 2006 12.26pm
Without wishing to discourage anyone from organising a meeting - a few points:

- Don't forget that the structures for community policing have changed this month. Every ward now has (nominally at least) a Safer Neighbourhoods team, led by a designated sergeant.

Some wards in SE1 have had these for a while (Bishop's and Cathedrals wards for sure) but they should now be universal, though not necessarily yet with a full compliment of PCs and PCSOs as the new setup takes shape.

Each ward should have a phone number and email address for you to reach the relevant officers.

- Rather than launching some sort of new campaign, would it be better to work in co-ordination with established community groups which already have lines of communication with the relevant people in the police?

Obviously these groups vary by area and none covers the whole of SE1, but a lot of people have talked about the Leathermarket area. Consider the West Bermondsey Community Forum, for example: http://www.wbcf.org

- We are in the middle of an election campaign. Obviously the borough councils don't directly control the police, but they do have a role in community safety, dealing with antisocial behaviour etc - eg Asbos.
Talk to the candidates. Find out who's standing in your ward here:
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/community/localelections/

- Beyond the local election period, consider attending your local community council (if you live in the Southwark part of SE1). There is always a report given by local police officers and the opportunity to raise issues with them. These meetings (held approx every six weeks) are always listed in 'in SE1' and the weekly SE1 Direct email.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Saturday 15 April 2006 12.44pm
I happened to need to call Southwark Police earlier this week, speaking to a Beat Crime officer, and alerted her to this thread and this forum. I said that there was a bit of a feeling of locals being outraged at these crimes and wanting to get together with the police to do something constructive, and I got the feeling that any approach would be welcomed.

edited to add:
Just seen James's post above, I go to community councils and the local police are nearly always there and give a report, and the public have a good chance both to question them in public and to speak to them informally.
Saturday 15 April 2006 12.58pm
markadams99 wrote:

Jonathan, the focus of your posts has been police procedure. That's pretty typical of an ostrich bureaucracy with it's head up it's pc behind (to mix metaphors) .

Great idea - an SE1 forum arranged meet with the police with the specific object of police on the beat.

Yes they were about police procedures as I was replying to vicd, who in my experience of working for the police was wrong about about those procedures. Procedure is in place to minimise the risk of miscarriages of justice; boring I know but vital nonetheless. Unfortunatley he flew off the handle when I told him the reasons as to why the police need to operate in certain ways.

When given potential evidence the police need to analyse it; look at it's relevance and usefulness, and to see if the person giving the evidence is honest, telling the whole story and whether they have any ulterior motives in giving the evidence. It would be a ridiculous situation if they were "act with lighting speed on intelligence from vigilant citizens" without checking the providence of that evidence first.

By the way, I am not an ex-police officer.
Saturday 15 April 2006 3.57pm
[quote Jonathan K]

It would be a ridiculous situation if they were "act with lighting speed on intelligence from vigilant citizens" without checking the providence of that evidence first. quote]

No it would not be ridiculous if they bothered to get to know the community and especially those who are law-abiding citizens trying to help them!

(Sorry, wasn't going to post back today but Jonathan K continues to exemplify Inspector Plod - slowly, slowly, DON'T catch a monkey.
Saturday 15 April 2006 10.25pm
Time vicD stopped slagging off Jonathan K.
Saturday 15 April 2006 10.45pm
Thanks for your objective input Jackie - Not!
ADT
Tuesday 18 April 2006 9.12am
[quote vicd]dealing with events as they happen or even - heaven forbid - BEFORE![quote]

I saw this in a film once, it all went wrong.
Tuesday 18 April 2006 10.38am
ADT, ha ha ... so any attempt to prevent crime must, ipso facto, plunge us straight into a tom cruise sci-fi dystopia?
Tuesday 18 April 2006 10.58am
Hi Malla,

Just wanted to say first of all that as with most people round here we all send our best to you and your girl friend - it's a horrible thing to have happened to both of you.

Me and my good lady live on Bermondsey street and I have worried about this kind of thing before - I always insist that she walks down St.Thomas and then down Bermondsey rather than down Weston street as it Bermondsey is usually more busy and lighter with less places to hide. Although in this case it wouldn't have made any difference by the sound of things.

We've lived on Bermondsey Street for a couple of years now and have not seen any trouble except for the odd problem I've had with kids dropping rubbish and letting their dogs crap in the park and then not clearing it up when I've had my 'good neighbour' hat on and told them off.

About ten years ago a very similar thing happened to me when I was living somewhere else (not in this area) and it was really traumatic (and I'm a six foot bloke) - I really hope that you and your girl friend don't go off the area all together - it is a lovely place and as this website shows there are lots of very kind caring people who live round here.

Having been through the court thing myself (twice - after there was a retrial due to witness problems) I would say that the best advice is for your girl friend to do her best to remember who kicked her where and with what foot and how she knew it was them etc (e.g. she saw their white trainers and their face which was fat etc) - the problem I had when I went to court was that it was all a bit of a haze as when you have that many people attaching you - one tends to go a bit foetal and cover your face. When it came to getting the scum bags convicted they got away with quite a lot because it was almost impossible to tell who had done what to me.

Even if it isn't clear to her now - it may come to her and then there is more of a chance of getting a conviction for GBH rather than ABH etc. Also it's really important for her to say that she feared for her life if this was the case - often decent people don't really say strongly enough how terrified they were and it seems like it was a minor scuffle to the magistrates/jury/judge etc who don't realise how horrific it really was.

Anyway - I really hope you are both alright - sincerely if there is anything me or my girlfriend could do for you both then please get it touch - [email protected]

Cheers,

Ed
Tuesday 18 April 2006 11.39am
Ed P's post has prompted me to suggest that it might be a idea for her to make some notes while her memory is fresh, and sign and date it when finished. Also keep a diary of the consequent effects on her life, eg. not going out, nightmares etc. (though forgetting the whole thing is another different good idea!)
Current: 9 of 13

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions