London SE1 community website

SE 1........Used To Be Brilliant....

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 12 of 22
Thursday 26 June 2008 12.40pm
toufan wrote:
Thank you so much for saying what i have wanted to say along with 3 generations of my family. The influx of arrogant opinionated people to this area in part is what has ruined living here for others. It is always the way and always will be

You see toucan, your rant makes no sense if you examine its parts.

First, if we turn the clock back 3 generations, your family could have been pointed at by a 'local' as being another "influx of arrogant opinionated people"

Second, you think that the influx of 'outsiders' "is what has ruined living here for others". On that premise, no person living in SE1 has ever had a life that hasn't been ruined by others - well mine hasn't and neither have most of my SE1 chums - rather we enrich each others lives.

I could go on dissecting your bigoted diatribe but, frankly, I am losing the will to live.
PKM
Thursday 26 June 2008 1.20pm
I'm shocked by the comments! Every new set of people that come into a community change it a little by their very presence, the culture they bring with them and this subsequently shows in the way the area develops right down to the shops, restaurants and other amenities that surface as a result of these new people.

I feel like I'm being told to go back to where I come from and take my "trendy" ways with me!
Thursday 26 June 2008 1.22pm
it used to be brilliant ... and then it got better when we moved here.
Thursday 26 June 2008 1.26pm
It was also pretty good when you were off travelling though ;0)

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 26 June 2008 1.36pm
when I first moved here over 20 years ago, the first person to say hello was the lovely Eileen who with hubby, Jack, ran the Prince of Wales pub - it was a very nice welcome for a vunerable (at the time) person. My, how things change. Jack and Eileen are now in Spain and the PoW is flats. Incidentally, there are terrible rumours about the old PoW (pre-E+J)involving the Richardson gang. Do we want to return to those days? Don't think so.
Thursday 26 June 2008 1.39pm
Hi all, I've been lurking on this site for about two months but I've been inspired to post by this thread due to something that happened the other day (by coincidence). For what it's worth, I'm a white working-class person from West London, who moved to Bermondsey last month partly because I liked the fact that the working classes haven't been pushed out of the area by gentrification. I don't drink in Bermondsey Street, I don't go round throwing my weight about and making out that I'm better than anyone else, and nor does my (middle-class) partner - we keep our heads down and get on with our lives. Unfortunately, while having a quiet drink in a pub round the corner from us, some bloke who appointed himself the 'voice of SE1' decided to come over and rant about us being fakes and 'mockneys' because we'd moved into the area.

I understand that it can be frustrating to feel as if your area has been taken over by people with no history in the area - despite myself, I felt a bit the same about how things were going where I used to live - but my question is, how is an area meant to survive if it remains stagnant? The population of London as a whole is constantly changing, so how can one area be expected to remain exactly the same? Logically, if people like the original poster are moving out of the area in order to find a 'white flight' haven (as he mentioned - I don't think I'm putting words into his mouth there) how is the area meant to survive unless other people come in? I've got little time for people who move somewhere new and moan about not having the amenities they might have had in a different area, but how many people in SE1 are actually doing that? How many people have moved here seeking to make the area Chelsea-south, really?

Sorry for the rant (and hello to everyone - not the greatest way to introduce myself, possibly). It was just coincidental that this thread was resurrected while I was still feeling a bit upset about what happened at the weekend.
Thursday 26 June 2008 1.59pm
Kirstyb - welcome to SE1 and ignore the wallies in the pub...people here are generally very friendly...

Can't everyone just relax a bit and get on with each other?
Thursday 26 June 2008 4.03pm
carmenes82 wrote:
Can't everyone just relax a bit and get on with each other?

Second that. Being one of those apparently awful outsiders myself, what attracted me to SE1 was the soul, the character and the community feel that is missing in so many other areas. Luckily, I've been made to feel very welcome in the area and am very happy to live here.

It really is give and take for every one, bot the new and the old....
Thursday 26 June 2008 4.20pm
You're all wrong - bring back the gin palaces and the bear fights and the whores and workhouses, the slums and the debtors gaol and and and...

... is it Friday afternoon YET?

hmpf
Thursday 26 June 2008 4.37pm
Birdie wrote:
You're all wrong - bring back the gin palaces and the bear fights and the whores and workhouses, the slums and the debtors gaol and and and...

... is it Friday afternoon YET?

hmpf

Bear fights and whores? Are we off to XXL?
Current: 12 of 22

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions