London SE1 community website

SE 1........Used To Be Brilliant....

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 14 of 22
Friday 27 June 2008 10.22am
Neil wrote:
Ivanhoe wrote:
And if we're really lucky we'll find out about Manarchy as well.
What now?! How have I not heard about this one before? Is it in the list of links? Will I have to go to do a review?

Please do. PLEASE do. Walk past there quite often and I'm very curious about what goes on inside (although obviously not bravely curious enough to go in). I've also just realised that "Manarchy" is just the loving pet name that we call it in the Ivanhome. Think the real name is "Man" (on Gt Suffolk St, opposite side of road to the taxi garage that never has any petrol)

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 27 June 2008 10.35am
Ivanhoe wrote:
Please do. PLEASE do. Walk past there quite often and I'm very curious about what goes on inside (although obviously not bravely curious enough to go in).

Talking of walking past and not being brave enough to go in, a surprising number of people live on Bermondsey Street but have never been inside St Mary Magdalen Church which is the oldest building locally (17th C, with some of it poss 13th C).

We are holding some events this weekend (see events listing) and one of them is a church open day tomorrow (Sat 28th June), with guided tours and refreshments available. We want to encourage those who usually walk past to bravely come in and see this historic Grade II* listed building for themselves!

There is also a classical concert on Saturday evening and a barbecue tonight (Friday). See www.stmarysbermondsey.org.uk
Friday 27 June 2008 12.05pm
Ivanhoe wrote:
Please do. PLEASE do. Walk past there quite often and I'm very curious about what goes on inside (although obviously not bravely curious enough to go in). I've also just realised that "Manarchy" is just the loving pet name that we call it in the Ivanhome. Think the real name is "Man" (on Gt Suffolk St, opposite side of road to the taxi garage that never has any petrol)

The Man Bar is an underwear and boots bar. According to their website they are opening a second venue soon. Didn't someone from the forum used to work there?

You should copyright the name 'Manarchy' and open your own men only bar. Myself and Birdie could work the door.
Friday 27 June 2008 1.21pm
Underwear and boots?!?

I suppose it's what it says it is, but I can't really understand why it is. Or why the boots, at least.

Do they have changing rooms, do you think?

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 27 June 2008 1.41pm
So that you can chage boots half way through the night?
Friday 27 June 2008 1.51pm
They have lockers. You can wear any sort of footwear - just not much else.
Friday 27 June 2008 2.01pm

I came across these at the back of Man when they were having their re-fit, thought I'd share;)
Friday 27 June 2008 2.21pm
Ivanhoe wrote:
Underwear and boots?!?
I suppose it's what it says it is, but I can't really understand why it is. Or why the boots, at least.

Do they have changing rooms, do you think?

They must do. They can't expect you to walk the streets in your wellies with the frogs faces on and your baggy grey Y-fronts with the loose elastic.

I have never understood the boots thing but then I didn't manage to get any further than chapter 2 of the Gay Mens Handbook (Abridged Version).
Friday 27 June 2008 2.26pm
I didn't realise there was a boots thing?!
Current: 14 of 22

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions