London SE1 community website

SE 1........Used To Be Brilliant....

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 15 of 22
Friday 27 June 2008 2.50pm
Men in boots and pants if they looked as good as Beckham in pants then I can get it... I bet they look more like Christopher Biggins though :-(
Friday 27 June 2008 2.52pm
Jack Carter must be loving this....look whats happened to his beloved Bermondsey!!

he's probably living in the Costa del Sol anyway now...
Friday 27 June 2008 3.20pm
I'm becoming wiser by the minute. Thanks for all the info.

I regularly watch a Rugby League magazine programme called "Boots & All". After today's revelations, I'm now going to have to think very carefully in order not to call it "Boots & **** All"!

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 27 June 2008 4.12pm
Boss St Bloke wrote:
toufan wrote:
Thank you so much for saying what i have wanted to say along with 3 generations of my family. The influx of arrogant opinionated people to this area in part is what has ruined living here for others. It is always the way and always will be

You see toucan, your rant makes no sense if you examine its parts.

First, if we turn the clock back 3 generations, your family could have been pointed at by a 'local' as being another "influx of arrogant opinionated people"

Second, you think that the influx of 'outsiders' "is what has ruined living here for others". On that premise, no person living in SE1 has ever had a life that hasn't been ruined by others - well mine hasn't and neither have most of my SE1 chums - rather we enrich each others lives.

I could go on dissecting your bigoted diatribe but, frankly, I am losing the will to live.
My grandmother, grandfather, mother , father and me and siblings all received 'real' abuse, which i am almost sure 'you and your se1 chums' have not. This did not mean that as an 'influx of arrogant and opinionated people' you describe, we forced our views and beliefs on people, we would have been run out of the area in that climate. That climate has not changed in one sense with the 'looking down your nose attitude' which is clear from the manner of your words.At least be polite enough to spell my name right.(toufan, not toucan)
Friday 27 June 2008 4.58pm
toufan - I have been a happy member of this site for a few years now and made many friends, but have not exchanged opinions with anyone with as big a chip on their shoulder as you.

There is chance you may be a troll - I don't know.

However, can you and I mutually agree right now that we do not reply to each other? - I do not wish to exchange blows with you over trivia Ad nauseam.
Friday 27 June 2008 6.52pm
OMG!! Have you seen what goes on on Fridays at The Fort?

More than ever, I realise that there's a lot of worlds out there that I will never experience (touch wood. {Didn't mean that to be a pun})

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 27 June 2008 6.58pm
First the Friday afternoon thread, then the full reel...
Friday 27 June 2008 7.27pm
I guess there isn't a queue for the toilet at least... or maybe there is? Me confused.
Saturday 28 June 2008 3.53pm
Se1 was all about the docks its the same thing that took place in Liverfool the docks closed unemployment and drugs took over that is what this area became I am glad that people have moved in to re-energize this place
Saturday 28 June 2008 10.57pm
At which point in history do some people want to freeze an area?

Medieval Lambeth Marsh used to be home to boatsmen serving the city, they have long been replaced. Bermondsey used to be a leafy suburb in the 17th century, before all these people moved in and made it urban.

Cities change as needed and wanted. I used to live in East Berlin. Berlin had some rather cheap areas near the wall that are now prime locations in the centre of the unified Berlin, complete with a big change in population. I can't say if that is a bad thing, it certainly is inevitable.
Current: 15 of 22

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions